Best probiotic to prevent recurrent UTI?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am 62 and self catheterize and get UTIs every two months. Doctor says to take a good probiotic especially designed for this but there are many on Amazon! Any input as to what works for any of you?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I take optibac for women.  It's has the two strains that are supposed to help with vaginal/urinary problems.  I've spent a lot of time research probiotics for uti, and there is a lot of conflicting evidence out there.  I also take florastor for intestinal health. 

• Posted

be careful- and good luck finding a good doctor these days-- if your urine is acidic or  if your ph is acidic- probiotics and vitamin d may give you UTI or strong symptoms like uTI-  i tried few and vitamins and cranberry and they all gave me UTI- high strand of Lactobacillus acidophilus will cause problems-  none of our ancestors used that crap and they never had that - i never had more problems before i started using supplements and vitamins etc... by the way i tried D Mannose and gave me bloating and bladder irritation and does cause high blood pressure so be careful because what may work for others may not work for you --  the only supplement that i found to be beneficial which actually decreases estrogen activities( estrogen dominance-- and not the lack of it and do not believe what some  doctors say that  the lack of estrogen is bad-- baloney, ( im not a doctor nor claim to be one but when i say something it is  the absolute truth--  the introduction of estrogen in your system for men and women will change your ph and make your urine acidic) you want your ph to be 7 and above -- i spend over 2000 trying every single supplement and most of them do not work or have serious side effects and contrary to what they claim to do-- the best one so far which will decrease estrogen dominance and help your immune system against bacteria is grapeseed extract and make sure it is organic but do not take it by itself if you have infection and do not use it  every day because it does cause low blood pressure if used every day- may be one pill every two days after you finish your antibiotics and if you want to try probiotics make sure  you buy one that is not too strong so your body can adjust to it - a strong probiotitcs or vitamins or vitamin d  will increase the calcium in your body even if will not show in the test and once you lose the balance in your PH you are in trouble-- tell me about it and the stupid doctors never want to go this direction- they seem these days, most of them, to treat the symptoms and  not the cause- i have seen  over 5 doctors so far and none of them mentioned the negative effects of acidic urine which i believe is the culprit- if you keep getting  uti more often ( we are familiar with SIBA, prostatitis, neurogenic bladder and fungus infection and colovesical fistula and drug resistance but a vicious uti that is not going a away is caused by acidic food which will cause bladder irritation and unbalanced ph  -when your diet consists of non- vegetables and acidic ingredients you are in trouble and a host to many bacteria- most of the things in your supermarket is garbage .- the food that we eat is so bad and especially when you eat in the morning something bad it will go right away to your organs and causes havoc-- i hope i was able to help- and excuse my typing and bad grammar -- I' m not feeling well cause im suffering from the same thing  - over 2 years dealing with UTI none of the medications are working and none of the doctors want to go this way which is to alkalinize my urine- they think they know everything and the patients are not worthy to listen to-   i hate the health care system in the U.S. IS ONE OF THE WORST in developing countries not developed countries-- i cannot buy an alkalinizer agent till i find a good doctor who is willing to take a different route and im suffering in the mean time.

• Posted

Hi Connie, I would love to tell you what I take but we are not allowed to advertise on here, it's a shame, just look for lady specific Items.

• Posted

Strange, another person replied and gave full name of what she was having success with. Did the policy change, I wonder? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.