Best shoes for broken toes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've quite badly broken my toe, its a spiral fracture of the proximal phalanx of my 4th toe. I did it nearly 3 weeks ago and had it put back in place at the hospital and have it buddy strapped to the next toe. 

I had it checked last week and it is still in position but it's is still really painful but due to having two young children I'm not able to rest it much so guessing thats why!

We are off on holiday next week and will be doing a fair bit of (limping) walking. I currently can only wear Ugg (soft) boots or slippers. Any other shoes I could buy to make my life more comfortable. it's going to be cold so sandals are not an option. Links to the right style would really help too!

Also any tips on helping it recover or reducing pain. As i said I can't rest that much so anything else I could do! 

Has anyone had a similar injury and how long did it take to recover?

Thanks smile 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would go to an orthpedic surgeon to get a hard soled ortho sandal. They do not let you flex. I woukd say not resting and being on it constantly will make slower healing. So difficult with kids and trips!!
  • Posted

Having had similar experience, I swear by Rockport's World Tour Women's Classic. Both my surgeon and podiatrist recommended them.

• Posted

Sketchers Go walk, i bought the 3 version when I had nerve removed due to Mortons Newuroma, now recovering from having two toe Osteotomies so will be going back into them. Best thing I have ever bought.  I know where you are coming form as i had to wear slippers for two weeks post op as foot wa so swollen couldnt get it in a shoe. Remeber to ice your foot and put it up when you can.
    • Posted

Funny about all the opinions on shoes. After I got out of my orthopedic shoe my foot and ankle ortho doc likes Brooks tennis shoes. So much advice.. love all the options.
  • Posted

Thank you that's really helpful and I will look them all up.

I've tried my normal boots and trainers (3 weeks tomorrow post break) and it's still too painful! How long does t usually take to get back to normal shoes? It just feels like the top is pressing down on the toe and that is just uncomfortable!

• Posted

Have you been to an orthopedic doctor? Fractures take 6 weeks to heal but putting pressure on that foot will make it take much longer.
  • Posted

I have always found with broken toes the best bet shoe wise is something sturdy that you can lace tight. With my most recent break (2 months ago)  I found my usual day shoes (1.5 inch heel) we too painful and I couldn't bend my toes enough to get into my safety boots so I am in a pair of flat leather shoes still. Was still sore but not intolerable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.