Best sleeping positions after ASD closure open heart surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good evening all

Im Sara im 32 years old, i had an ASD closure open heart surgery ten days ago, every thing is OK , but i had a terrible and painful pain in the chest every time i go to bed or get out of bed!

Is there a specific position for sleeping that will help me ?

Honestly i'm afraid that my position is wrong !

I will be very thankful if you helped me with the best position for getting in and out of bed

Thanks alot [:-)]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

What sort of pain?

Like when you lie on your back or side?

Im 23 and Ive had 12 heart surgeries and i am a very strange sleeper. I sleep with 8 pillows piled high so im sitting up, or i curl up in a ball so my knees are either side of my chest(scar) and lie on my front.

When i was younger i always wanted to sleep on my stomach but wouldnt because i was always recovering from a surgery so i found this was a way to lie comfortably and be on my front without my chest touching anything. I still sleep like it now out of habit!

• Posted

Dear chantelle

you're so young to have these amount of surgeries, im so sorry and hope you will have a good health

For me i'm not used to sleep on my back, i used to sleep on my stomach , so it was really very difficult for me !

When i go to sleep , i through my self on my back without bending my knees with only one pillow behind, so when i totally be on my back i sense a little pain on the top of my spine which fades away 5 minutes later,, so i think that the way i get into bed is wrong !

thanks alot, wish you the good health always

• Posted

I can't answer your question but you should phone the ward you were in and 

ask why you are getting that pain.  Was it happening before you came home from hospital ?

I had a contact no for the physio who initially got me out of bed and walked me down the corridor and up two flights of stairs, sheer murder:-)  She phoned me a few times to see how I was getting on with my daily walks and exercises.  

For the first six weeks I had to sleep on my back, something I didn't normally do. I put a pillow beside me to prevent me from turning over. It was a bit of a struggle sitting up and getting out of bed but I did not have pain to extent that you have.

• Posted

Dear derek

I used to sleep on my stomach not back, so it is really difficult for me ,, this pain happened after leaving the hospital

so when i get into the bed i sleep on my back, the first minutes i feel like that the bone in the spine is pushing into my Throat with painul feeeling!

5 minutes later everything returns good, but as you told me it is really a struggle getting into and out of bed sad

• Posted

Sara,

Don't sweat about the small stuff, that's right, the small stuff.  You should be happy you had it fixed before you developed heart failure, like I did.  You're over the worst of it, this pain won't last forever.  You will live a normal life now, whereas I'm living on borrowed time.  I don't mean to sound insensitive, if that's the way I'm coming across, but you're really worrying over nothing.

• Posted

thanks alot Scotgal

Your words are great and very true

I thought that this situation is not normal, but now i know that i have to wait these coming months and after that it will be the full cure smile

many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.