Best source for doctor info

Posted , 6 users are following.

so beyond the reviews posted on the facility a surgeon works at which will of course slant to being all positive, as well as random review sites on the web, are there any really in depth sites to get as much information on a potential surgeon so one knows everything they need to know? thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would review the credentials, experience, and reputation of the surgeon, group, and surgery center. Convenience of location was important to me for accessibility. I would agree to what the surgeon recommends or find another, but not second guess their opinion.

• Edited

You can Google "rate my md" but depending on where you are, some of the info may be outdated. Also the websites of cataract surgeons usually have reviews, which may or may not be accurate, but may be helpful. You have use your discernment. You can call local optometrists and ask the receptionist what cataract surgeons they refer patients to. It might be better to go in person to ask that question, because the office staff is sometimes busy. Even opticians can provide some advice because they make eyeglasses for patients after they have had cataract surgery. And with opticians, you can usually just walk in and wait to talk to one. They aren't inside a private office. If you have a primary care physician, you can ask him or her which cataract surgeons their patients like. Or ask your physician who they would use for cataract surgery.

• Edited

"are there any really in depth sites to get as much information on a potential surgeon so one knows everything they need to know?"

You mean reliable, unbiased, honest and comprehensive data regarding physician skills and performance? No. I would bet good money that no such site exists anywhere.

• Posted

Exactly. I take all rating sites, for anything, with a huge grain of salt. For doctors it can help to look up credentials, but the best source of information is personal recommendations, especially from another doctor you trust.

• Posted

Yes, Bookwoman. I have worked in hospitals for many years, and I know a number of nurses and physicians personally quite well, but it's still a gamble. I know of of well-recommended surgeons ( general, neuro, ortho, ENT, ophthalmology, etc) who have had bad outcomes with some patients. I know of surgeons who are not well-recommended who have had excellent outcomes. You never know. As I said earlier, talk to optometrists, opticians, (a retinal surgeon, if you have seen one) and your own primary care physician. Then hope and pray for the best. Most cataract surgery patients are satisfied with their outcomes, and most do not do any kind of extensive research on their cataract surgeon.

• Posted

i would bet you could almost work out a formula that the worse the cataract and vision was in the patient, the high the satisfaction. ie: someone with level 4-5 cataracts will inevitably see an improvement. for myself, where i am pretty much completely functional and on the fence as to doing it due to cost, risk etc, the choices are even more critical. that is one reason i think people get lens implants to only rid themselves of glasses (no cataracts) are insane with the risks involved. and the comments of youtubers who have done this is usually tinged with regret

• Posted

One source of information would be:

Newsweek America's Best Eye Doctors 2023

Within that list look for a surgeon that does cataracts that is located near you. Narrow the list down by identifying which ones are associated with a university hospital and are active in teaching. Then you could do a final check with Rate your MD to see if there are any issues. And keep in mind if you have picked the lens you want, you will want to find a clinic that actually offers that lens. You want someone that is practiced in using that specific lens.

• Posted

The surgeon I used was an associate professor at Duke Medical who left to open her own practice within a mile of my home. My daughter was impressed and accompanied me to most of my appointments. My daughter is an electrical engineer specializing in software. She is showing signs of cataracts. Unlike me and her late father, she is myopic. Discovered she needed eyeglasses when she was in the first grade. She never wanted Lasik because of scuba diving. Says she wants what I have. Maybe she's brave enough to try Panoplix lenses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.