Best things to eat to help me gain weight but also ease constipation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

So I've been dealing with bad IBS for several months now and have very little appetite and as a result have lost over a stone. I am waiting to see a dietitian but struggling in the meantime with my eating.

I was just wondering what sort of things I should be eating that would a) help me gain some weight back and b) wouldn't worsen my slow bowels. Obviously in an ideal IBS-free world I would just eat calorific foods and gain weight that way but these types of foods actually make constipation worse e.g. chocolat etc.

Is there a way I can do this? I am 7 stone 3 ish and would like to be around 8 stone.

Many thanks,

Emma

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bananas, apples and grapes. 

In other words take more fiber. 

• Posted

Hi Emma

I feel your pain, I am a typical ectomorph shape I find it really difficult to gain weight. I am 5ft 6 and 7st 5 at the moment, with my ideal being around 8st too. To just be told to eat chips and chocolate and whatever you like might get me bigger but I wouldn't feel good loading up on those types of food. Personally eating huge meals makes me feel sluggish and then unable to eat the next meal!

For me what has worked is eating healthy food but with good fats - think fresh salmon, avocados, nuts etc. I have put on at least a pound a week doing this. If you can tolerate milk and dairy then that is a good thing too, to drink milk or milky coffee in between meals. Greek yoghurt (the real stuff, not greek-style) is calorie dense and might even help your tummy because of the good bacteria.

The nuts will help with adding fibre but be careful not to overdo it as you don't want to go the other way, add them in gradually.

You're more than welcome to message me privately so we can hopefully support each other! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.