best time to take celexa?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a celexa prescription and was wondering when is the best time to take it in the morning or in the evening before bed? I work during the week so I was going to try to start it on the weekend. Thanks for any advice!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi April I heard its best to take in the morning I can't remember the reason but there was 1 and I do, I'm on my 4th tablet tomorrow but I'm only starting on 5mg to ease myself into it first n then going up... However someone has just advised me to start at night so you sleep through most of the side effects if you get any so I think it's personal choice really 😘
  • Posted

Hi April

I know a lot of people take them at night but I personally take mine in the morning. Please be aware you may get some side effects for the first couple of weeks. They do pass though. If it was me I would book at least a weeks leave from work on your first week of taking them. Mind you it may be you are lucky and don't get any side effects.

How are you doing at the moment?

If your concerned about any symptoms just post here. There are so many wonderful people here with loads of knowledge on depression and anxiety.

Warmest wishes

Lorraine x

• Posted

It's whatever works best for you , I find taking before bed allows the meds to get working. You need to keep a regular time and stick to it make it a routine then you won't forget and then you have a regular dose in your system. It takes time for it to start working but it will
  • Posted

Hi! I also take mine at night 8pmish because I was afraid it would make me tired. So far that works for me. Good luck and don't give up :-D
  • Posted

Hi my husband takes his on a morning as doctor said it can stop you from sleeping I would advise trying to get some leave from work the side effects can be quite stubborn but bare with them as it gets better it's worth it
  • Posted

To be honest we all take meds at times to suit ourselves and we follow the direction passed to us by professionals I'm not a doctor and I can only pass on my experience and what works for me
  • Posted

Thank yall so much for the advice! I started having panic attacks when I was 15 and I've taken anti-depressants in the past. I've tried recently within the past year to not have to be on antidepressants and feel like crap. I am mean to my family and I get very irritable and frustrated and have a lot of anxiety and depression. I guess I will have to take antidepressants for the rest of my life.
    • Posted

It's tough but to get through this you need to focus and take little steps don't see things as a failing see them as a step to recovery. The meds are there to help and you can use them to cope with day to day stuff the first step to recovery is understanding there is a problem and your past that so little steps and you will get there.

Try councilling it's helped me I've had 3 years of it and I'm still needing more but wow it helps it makes sense of things we do ,we feel and they do understand and really help it's so tiring but worth it. Meditation also works I laughed at first but it calms you ,you become comfortable with your space be strong you will get there promise

• Posted

I would love to try therapy, but i don't have insurance and it can get costly. The county funded programs are sparse here. Im very sensitive to meds. Can I take half a 10mg celexa until I get use to it? There isn't a score line on it so I wasn't sure if u could still cut the pull in half. Again, thank you all for the comments. They've been very helpful smile
    • Posted

I have little white tablet form not the capsules and I'm very sensitive to meds.. I've split my 10mg tablet to half (5mg) to ease myself into it slowly and as daft as it sounds everyday I break less and less off until I'm on a full 10mg.. I know that sounds like I'm being soft but it's working for me hunni.. The reason being I'm scared now because I was on 20mg fluoxetine 3 weeks ago and it knocked me for 6 and I had to give up in just 1 week how I stuck that I'll never know xxx
    • Posted

Ps mine don't have a score line but I just break it with my thumb nail.
    • Posted

Talk to your doctor with anything to do with meds most important ,they will sort your dose out correctly and monitor your progress it takes a while to work and there is no magic med just give it time and be strong
  • Posted

Hi April,

I started taking mine in the morning, moved on to lunchtime and then with the evening meal as I found that the side effects that were happening seemed worse during the few hours before taking the Citalopram (as it is known in UK). Therefore I hoped to get a bigger part of the day fairly fuzzy free. After a while I started experiencing multi and very vivid dreams. If I woke up or got up in the night to go to the loo on returning to bed and sleep I would carry on the same dream or start new one - each time! A kind soul here suggested taking them just before bed, which I continue to do and the dreams have gone. I look at it that Cita as a "sticking plaster for the brain" does its job while I'm asleep and that works for me.

Now, we are all quite different. We all come here for various reasons and with differing symptoms. Not everyone experiences all or the same side effects, not every one experiences the same intensity of these either so, it is quite an individual thing we go through. However, the chances of finding someone here that can relate to our own experiences are very good and you'll soon get the right help and advice.

Anyway, think about what happens before and after you take Celexa and adjust the timing to suit yourself. By all means you must keep up a regular dialogue with your Dr, but the answer re this should be the same, a kind "suck it and see" situation.

Good luck and Welcome to othe Club!

Keep posting and keep reading we're all here to help each other.

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.