Best time to take Venlafaxine XL

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am currently on day 18 of venlafaxine the XL version. I have been taking 75mg in the morning but as mentioned in a previous post I'm feeling completely exhausted all of the time.

I'm also not sleeping great but even at times when I've slept reasonably ok I'm still physically and mentally worn out the next day.

The dr has increased me to 115mg starting from tomorrow and I completely forgot to ask the question whether I should maybe change to taking my medication in the evening rather than the morning and see if that helps.

Has anybody else had this problem and had success with changing the time you take it?

Really appreciate any advice anybody can give.

Many thanks

Clare

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi. Best not to change the time you take it if you are starting a new dose. Technically best to give it at least two weeks or so before making any major changes to your schedule.

Having said that, I remember changing it to lunchtime - early afternoon and it worked better for me this way. The latest it should be taken is 3/4 PM, otherwise it disturbs the sleep cycle notably and can hamper your progress.

You can certainly take it at lunchtime and see if that fits your biorhythm better smile

All the best.

• Posted

Hi Purpledobermann,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.

Can I just ask if you know why it would disturb my sleep pattern if I take it at night? My line of thinking was that if it's making me sleepy anyway then maybe I could sleep through the side effects if that makes sense. You may have way more experience than me with this medication though and so I appreciate any advice you can give.

Do you mind me asking why you changed the time you take yours? Was it also because of sleepiness? Are you on the slow or immediate release form of the tablet and at what dose?

Many thanks

Clare

• Edited

I had changed the time I was taking it because of exhaustion and nausea. Helped with both when i shifted to lunchtime. I was on Extended release for most of my therapy. I was on Effexor XR capsules at 75mg for 4 years (inadequate treatment), followed by 4 years at 150mg +2 years maintenance and 2 years weaning. I have been off the drug for about 4 years now. I was treated for GAD that progressed to brief psychosis post-partum following the birth of my first child.

Even though you are tired and sleepy with it, the quality of your sleep will be really poor (no, worse than your perceived sleep quality right now biggrin. Venlafaxine will prevent you reaching deep sleep and over time this will make recovery very difficult.

It is still very early on in your therapy and all the built up stress and tension are seeping out now making you feel really bad along with adjustment to the chemicals.

Your energy levels and sleep quality should be improving over the coming weeks. Within 2-3 months from starting therapy you should start feeling much more rested and energized. Adjustment to any psychotropic is considered complete when you stop feeling exhausted all the time. This signals that the bulk of the stress was released and your brain is regrouping. At the same time your initial symptoms (anxiety or depression related) should gradually begin to lighten, become less frequent and less intense.

Wish you a smooth road ahead.

• Posted

wow looking for days for an answer that made ssnse to me . Do you really expell the built up stress? leading to exhaustion. 3 months on this only 37.5 mg and i am debating going off because im literally dibilatated by being tired all the time and i dont feel much better anyway

• Posted

Hi have after a long time , my doctor has increased my ventaflaxine from 37.5 twice a day . To 75 twice a day . But I was not told when is best time. To take  them I take my last one at 9 at night but I’m waking  up at 8 .30 and feel terrible .can any one advice me , please 
    • Posted

hello julia you didnt mention if you are taking extended release/prolonged release venlafaxine, or the immediate release version?

if you are taking the extended release/prolonged release venlafaxine, it probably wont make much difference when you take them, as the med will be gradually released in your system over 24 hours anyway.   my advice would be to speak to your doctor again.  wishing you luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.