Best Treatment for OCD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've always had a few obsessional thoughts but in the last couple months I've developed some compulsions as well... classic handwashing but also cleaning my teeth more than I should. Suddenly the world seems like it is brimming with germs and I just don't know how to cope. I feel suffocated by them. I don't want to put my feet on the bed... I've completely stopped going barefeet anywhere. I have never paid attention to how unclean everything is before now. I'm not sure why my awareness of germs has suddenly come to the forefront, but it is awful and I don't want it to get any worse.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go from here? Can you recommend a particular form of treatment?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Different treatments work for different people. But i would recommend either CBT or hypnotherapy smile try both & see if either work best for you. I personally found hypnotherapy better, but that's just me. x
    • Posted

How does hypnotherapy work for OCD? I mean, what's the actual process?
  • Posted

Hi Jael128 have you tried the anti depressant anafranil (Clomipramine), it's one of the old styles tricyclics but is proven to be really effective with OCD. Venlefaxine is another AD which helps with OCD but reviews are firmly with Anafranil 

My experience with hypnotherapy is mixed but it will help you in resisting the urge or compulsions, CBT will help re frame the thought processes.

Best to discuss with your health professional and perhaps mention the above.

Neil 

• Posted

Hello Aspinan, I was hoping to find a treatment that didn't involve medication. I'm bipolar and unable to take antidepressants. They send me into this weird thing called mixed mood. I've been on Venlafaxine before though it was a long time ago. I took it when depressed but it didn't help much. I've made an appointment to see a psychologist and I'm guessing she'll suggest a CBT-like approach. My doctor said there's an online treatment run through a university here (in Australia) so I thought I might try that too. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I'd never considered hypnotherapy for this. I'm not sure what I think about it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.