Best treatments

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm basically posting because after been severely anxious since a child, I've gradually gotten worse, and constantly find new sources of anxiety. I've been on treatment for the last 2 months, setraline antidepressants and was also recently prescribed diazepam. The diazepam helps, but I feel that I need a higher dosage, I'm aware that I can't take them long term, and was wondering if anyone else suffering from an anxiety disorder knows of any medicines that act like benzos that I cant actually take long term? If not, what medicines do you take to cope? I really can't cope with the way I think and feel any longer and am desperate to get rid of it. I have a mixture of anxiety issues, including the generalized anxiety disorder, as well as panic attacks and phobia disorder that all overlap into my problem and my anxiety can jump from on thing to another, ie terrified that my hair will fall out, terrified that people dont like me, that i'm a bad person, smells, i hear things, when i'm highly stressed I start to feel as though my skin is crawling and I'll convince myself that spiders are all over me. Sounds can also drive me crazy and Ive recently started exhibiting compulsive tendencies. Please help me.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Rather than look for medication, why not think about therapy? Its safer and just as if not more effective. It sound like therapy would suit you better than more meds
    • Posted

The problem is for me is that I don't trust people, I find it impossible to open up which is why it's taken a very long time to seek help. Due to me being anxious since I can remember, I believe its hardwired to my personality and that scares me too. Basically, my mum was bipolar and an alcoholic so from the age of like 6 I would stay up in bed, listening for every noise downstairs, I would always make sure that my mum got to bed without doing anything to herself, ie cut herself, overdose or hurt someone else. From this, I must of learned that every noise, every action is something to worry about. It's the way I think, the way I feel, the way I see things. I don't know what I need, anyway, I'm starting to see a counsellor soon, but I still dont like the idea.
  • Posted

I would try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.  It was recommended to me for OCD.  It really works.  Have to have a good therapist. CBT could teach you to stop the automatic reaction you have to certain stressors. Some therapist don't seem to do CBT they just would rather talk about family and things.  That's good to talk about too,  But CBT is really needed to get rid of anxiety.
    • Posted

Yeah I know but I'm terrified of talking about these things with people. I don't have particular stressors, it could be absolutely anything that my mind decides to obsess over.
  • Posted

you need to see a psychiatrist to be put on the right medication.  We can't really advise on this here.

Richard

• Posted

Its just that my doctor is sorta leaving it up to me, always asking me what I think. I just wanted to know what sort of medications are there, so I can discuss them with my doctor tomorrow
  • Posted

hello klaire, mediation is very good for anxiety can take a while to achieve but helped me in a bad time all mindfullness is very helpfull and lavender in your bath at night or a few drops on your pillow at night. hope this helps x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I try a lot of things, I take baths a lot and also have lavender oil for soothing me to sleep. I try to relax on my days off but it's hard when you have time on your hands your brain tends to wonder. I worry that other things are wrong and i think i'm going crazy, I struggle to identify with others due to my anxiety. I was prescribed the diazepam due to me coming in for my bi-weekly appointment (close monitoring as last time i had antidepressants i had mania symptoms) and i had a panic attack because all i could think about is my neck was sore and i could hear the clicking and it was just getting louder and louder and everything else built up. my mind unconciously becomes anxious at times too.
  • Posted

i feel the same ive had bad anxiety for years and still got it im on diazpham and all sorts of other medications i fear off things going out i would love to stay in bed all day but i have to push myself to go to work im on loads of meds and now not helping because ive been on them for years.  Had an appointment with highcroft and they said they will sort me something else out im on to many meds and clashing with each other thats why i feel worse
    • Posted

It feels like there will never be an end to it, and that stresses me out even more knowing that I'm at my last year of uni and that I feel like there's so much work to do in the way of mental health that i wont have time to work on anything else. it interferes with everything, my friends (or lack of) my work, my course.
  • Posted

I take buspirone, it acts like diazepam but is none addictive. It takes 2-3 weeks to start to work 6-8 weeks to have full effect in the mean time until they kick in diazepam can bridge the gap. My anti depressant (Venlefaxine) is also anti anxielitic. 

anxiety is insidious like that, it jumps from one thing to the other until it's controlled either through self help (CBT) or meds.

• Posted

thanks for your reply

my antidepressant is also supposed to ease anxiety symptoms however it hasn't worked so far. the diazepam seems to really help, it stops my mind buzzing however it doesn't have an effects of the physical side effects of anxiety so sometimes if i'm in a situation that makes me anxious, the physical symptoms kick in and then in turn make me anxious! there's no way out! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.