Best vitamins to take for Hyperthyroidism (muscle cramps in legs)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last week I was diagnosed with hyper and have bad muscle cramps in my legs. Any suggestions on the best vitamins/supplements I could purchase on Amazon not only for the cramps but in general for hyper?

Also, how long does the meth 2x 10mg take to finally kick in? This fog feeling and cramping is no fun. I've read anywhere from 4-6 weeks, is this accurate?

Next week I have ultrasound on my throid so they can gather more information.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi jason1121, for your muscle cramps I would recommend applying Magnesium oil. It is a saturated solution of Mg Chloride in water and feels oily (like the water of the Dead Sea). You can eighter get Mg Oil or buy Mg Chloride Hexahydrate crystals and prepare a saturated solution yourself (which can be much cheaper).  

Mg is very well absorbed through the skin while oral Mg supplements may cause gastrointestinal problems. 

4 ml of Magnesium Oil (31%) correspond to a dosage of 412 mg of pure Magnesium. I used to apply Mg oil to my calves because I had muscle cramps while being hyperthyroid. My dosage was 1ml at a time up to 3 times a day. 

Mg is similar to Calcium. Any surplus is excreted via the kidneys. The recommended daily allowance is about 300 - 400 mg.    

I would recommend regular exposure to the sun to generate enough Vit D. I would also recommend a protein-rich diet. Hyperthyroid patients tend to lose lean body mass due to a high basal metabolic rate. This may lead to muscle pain and weakness. Try to avoid strenuous exercise until your thyroid levels normalise again. 

Methimazole takes effect after reaching your thyroid. It (partially) inhibits the production of thyroxine. However, it may take a few weeks before the already produced and stored surplus thyroxine in your bloodstream is used up. 

• Posted

Yes danR you're right about the protein rich diet.  I'm on a low carb and low sugar diet.  You're also right about not doing strenuous exercise.  I'm on my feet at work and that's why I have to be off.  The walking that I did do was sometimes only 10 min.  That's a good tip about the magnesium oil.  I'll have to try that as I still get some minor cramps.

• Posted

I have hyperthyroidism also and was off work for almost 3 months due to muscle cramping and weakness in the legs.  I had it so bad I could barely walk and couldn't do stairs.  For vitamins I took b12 and vitamin d with magnesium.   It didn't help the cramping but it did make me feel stronger.  It took me 6 to 7 weeks for the medicine to kick in.  I no longer have the cramping but I need to strengthen my leg muscles.  I do this by going for half hour walks, and doing leg exercises in the pool.

I really hope this helps.  I understand how difficult it is to have hyperthyroidism.  Hang in there. 

• Posted

Hi Jason .I agree about magnesium, it's a very important mineral. Also selenium will help hugely. I recommend the liquid minerals by the US company but (dont know if i can advertise so I'll just say if I state who it is it will not be good! ) Its on amazon. best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you. I plan on ordering these today once I do some research. 
  • Posted

I have dealt with hyperthyroidism for several years.  The leg cramps were incredibly painful at first.  I would wake up several times a night.  I tried regular magnesium at first (500 mg) .  I now take 200mg of Magnesium Taurate+ (Amazon).  I have almost no leg cramps at all!  The brand is KAL.  I haven’t tried others but I would think they would work as well!
  • Posted

Is B12 effective to take if you have hyper? It seems more of a hypo issue when I do some research.
  • Posted

I've read that it is useful to take B12 when you're hyper because our overactive thyroid depletes our vitamins.  

• Posted

Thank you. I started taking B12 today and like I said I'm hyper, we'll see what happens. Hoping for a burst of energy, or a little more in my tank.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.