Best way I found to decrease the amount of boils!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey fellow hs sufferers!

I have had hs since I was about ten and now I am twenty years old, mainly in the groin and buttox area. About a year and a half ago I went vegan. This was because of ethical reasons, nothing else. After about a month or two I started to notice less and less boils and suddenly I had no left. At the time it was unheard of for me to not have even one boil. After three months of being vegan I had to go back to my old way of eating, vegan was no longer an alternative due to my living situation. After about a month of eating "normally" I noticed my hs getting worse. Four months after I had the opportunity to go vegan again, which I did of course, and this had the same effect as before.

I am not boil free, but most of the times I have none and the ones I get are not as severe as before. I hardly ever get boils that burst and sting anymore, which I would get almost every week two years ago.

This discovery has practically saved me, I was so embarressed about my situation and thought I would never even have the confidence to have sex with someone, but now I am living like most people my age and can feel confident enough to have sex.

I hope this helped someone and I would love to hear of anyone has had the same experience as I did!

5 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Good for you Matilda, nice to hear a good news story regarding HS for a change! I've recently gone on the Atkins diet and I too have been boil free ever since, so it has to be food related. For me, it must be either nightshades or wheat as I am still eating meat and dairy. Let's both hope it continues eh?!

• Posted

Interesting, presumably on the vegan diet you ate plenty of nightshades??

For me, I can avoid the inflammation simply by avoiding nightshades and eating everything else I want to. But I do suspect I could eat nightshades if I worked out what was predispositioning me. Bit hard though for now I assume it's gut damage and just avoid nightshades which works like a charm.

• Posted

Hi Paige, it's a fairly long list which takes some getting used to avoiding...

Potatoes (potato starch), Tomatoes, Paprika, Chilli, Eggplant, Capsicum/Bell Peppers, Goji Berries.

ie) everyone knows not to eat a green potato, but some of use seem to be very sensitive to the alkaloids in all of these vegetables, some of which are used as natural herbicides.

• Posted

True, and there's something like 75% of people with HS are smokers (or have been). Unfortunately stopping smoking doesn't seem to stop the boils like stopping eating the nightshades.

• Posted

I went paleo about two years ago, and that helped improve my condition a lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.