Best way to begin antidepressants?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all.

I've decide to take the plunge into antidepressants tomorrow for my depression and anxiety. I'm hoping to be prescribed Pristiq, but we'll see what the physician recommends.

When first taking antidepressants, to lessen the side effects and "ease into" a recommended dosage, do you recommend starting on a low dose and working your way up to the full dose over several weeks or just plunging straight into the full dosage?

Any other tips or recommendations are appreciated.

Thankyou.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I recommend doing as your GP tells you. Yes know what other meds you might be taking and will probably start you off low anyway. Some meds react quickly others take time.

• Posted

Hi Isobutane

Do as your GP recommeneds but you will most liekly feel much much worse before you feel better. I was on Ami. for a short time and I ditched them altogether and went for more natural remedies. My depression is more based on life circumstances so I've working to fix those problems in my life. It's important you keep communicating with your GP and if you're  not happy with the way things are going take control and ask for more help. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hello Isobutane

When you begin the take Anti depressents your GP, MAY decide on a split dose for the first four weeks, then if all is fine will then increase to a working level of medication, sometimes this does not happen you could be put on that full dose straight away.

One thing that I find strange you are making the decisions that the GP will take on medication and the type of drug prescribed. Your GP has other things to consider when choosing the type of drug you will need to take, one of these decisions in the UK may be cost.

Giving patients medications is a decision your GP will take, your ideas may not be what you consider correct, He could feel no medications are required at this time.

When you start AD you will need to give them four to six weeks before they work well so you will need to be patient,

To know what has caused your concerns takes you half way there to understand your concerns, therefore your GP may decide CBT may a good way forward.

For this form of treatment the CPN will suggest coping skills, somtimes even before medications are given.

All depends on your GP, good luck

Let us know how you get on, we may be able to help

BOB

• Posted

Hi, your dr will recommend your initial doseage and slowly increase it to what he thinks you need.  So don't worry as the decision isn't in your hands and no dr will start you off on a full strength dose but manage you until you get there.

All the best... Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.