Best way to come off gabapentin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have only been taking it for 3 weeks. I increased at only 100mg a day so took me 10 days to get to the 900mg they said needed for pain relief. I took this for 4 days but had no pain relief but felt pretty awful decided to come off it slowly.  I have been decreasing at 100mg a day but am increasing dizzy and alternating between very depressed or hyper and now not sleeping or only for a few hours.  Is reducing at 100mg a day too fast?  should I stay at a dose for a few days before reducing again?

I was taking it for severe sciatica and back pain, having steriod epidural soon for the leg pain.

both pain clinic consultant and gp said I could reduce at 300mg a day but I know this is not advisable.

Would appreciate any advice please

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You could try 100 mg every 3 days. Or try 50 mg. Everybody is different but be in contact with Your Doctor and let Them know how Your feeling. I hope things get better for You soon. I've been on it for 5 years at 3600 mg so hearing your having so many problems fills Me with dread the lower My dose goes!  I hope this doesn't last forever! It's miserable!

• Posted

Deborah

Everyone is different in how they respond to this drug both in terms of side effects on it and withdrawal effects trying to come off of it. One thing I know for sure is that the doctors have no idea about how severe the withdrawal effects can be. I feel that this drug should come with a warning, it's a horrible drug. It affects the functioning of the brain. I wish I knew then what I know about the drug and coming off of it. The only positive thing I can say to you is that since you were on it for a short period of time, the withdrawal effects should go away quicker. The lower the dose the more you are going to experience the withdrawal effects. I have had to go back on twice because it was so bad. I have been back at 300 for 2 months now and still I am struggling but I refuse to go any higher again as the side effects are bad too. I would advise you to go really slow. I would stay at a dose for a few days then once you feel better go down another 100 but stay there again until you feel ok to go down anther 100. The doctors had me go down too fast and so I have been in a horrible state since I first started trying to come off of it last December. I am going to try and stay at the 300 until I feel like the withdrawal effects are stable. Then I will decrease again. Gabapentin also comes in a liquid form so you can decrease slower that by 100 if you need to. I don't blame to the doctors, I don't think they have any idea how horrible it is to come off of Gabapentin, if they did I don't think they would prescribe it as much. At least, I hope not.

This drug can cause both physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms and since everyone I'd different, so are the side effects and withdrawal effects. I have read that some people recommend taking magnesium supplements and that it has helped them a lot with the withdrawal but it has done nothing for me but maybe you could give that a try. I wish you well.

• Posted

Thanks both much appreciated. Yesterda was horrible felt really sick and sudden movement I felt lightheaded and by evening I felt as if I was tingling inside!  Really bad when I went to bed and laso felt super agitated so no chance of sleep.  I took sleeping pill and got just a few hours. Today i took couple of magnesium tablets and stayed at same gaba dose and so far not felt as bad. Whether I will sleep is another thing. 

I totally agree that Drs have no idea how bad withdrawal is - I was told just to drop 300mg a day and be off them in 3 days. I cannot imagine how that would have felt!!! I too wish I had not started them as it will take me much much longer to get off them than I took them for in the first place.  Good idea about the liquid version to use once down to 100mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.