Best way to self taper???

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I've drank anywhere from 8 to 15 drinks per night for over a year now. Not exactly sure how long. It started out with simply being bored and nothing better to do. But now it's just annoying. I don't enjoy it anymore and it sucks because my body needs it. I'm not mentally addicted to it what so ever and I just want to stop but if I don't drink before bed I get really bad anxiety and sleep is impossible.

I just want to know if there's any ideas out there as to how to wean myself off of it. And how I know I'll be okay.

Thanks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So I guess taper is your plan .I would suggest you write it down on paper .Cause it is hard to keep track.lets say you start with 12 drinks,or less if you want to.so every 2 days cut one drink less.I think it would be a good idea to target finishing withzero drinks and not settling for arriving at 2 or 3.So many times we cut down only to go back to harder drinking.This means a 24 day taper.So even just take a calender,write in the squard your target then how much you actually drank.So the sleep issue and anxiety is coming from a neurotransmitters in your brain that have been increased to balance out .Alcohol is a glutamate blocker.This is a highly used neurochemical.it is used for say energy to keep your heart and lungs functioning,among other things.When alcohol blocks this it is made in greater abundance because it thinks there is not enough.It is the chemical that causes seizures if a heavy drinker stops abruptly.It is also responsible for alot of psychological disorders .It is a neccessary  excitory role yet too much creates neuro-toxicity.So a taper will give your brain a chance to stop with less stress and anxiety.I hope you let us know how it goes. best of luck Dylan
  • Posted

Buy a drink you do not like....and start at say 10....drink 10 drinks on the first day...only when you feel crappy....spread them out..do that for about 3 days...then go down to 8...for 2-3 days....then 6......2 or 3 days....then 5.....spread out. 

Stop,

​Make sure it is a drink you don't like so that you don't go overboard. The process would probably take about 2 weeks to get down to 3 drinks...after that...if you are to quit cold turkey you won't have severe withdrawals as if you would right now.

​I did this successfully 1 time...all the other times...I tried to taper I always over did it and went back for my drink of choice.  You have to be really ready and determined to bes succesful.  ll the other times I had to go cold turkey and it was H*LL.

• Posted

You need an alcohol detox. It is close to impossible to reduce using alcohol
    • Posted

Yes, it is hard, because when you've had a couple, the self control goes. But, you've tried Addaction, your doctor won't get involved, A&E won't get involved and you don't have a load of money swilling about the bank account, what do you do?

I'm not talking about myself, although I have been in some of those situations, what would you advise the options for someone who doesn't have loads of money or a friendly GP?

• Posted

It's very difficult because people drinking very high levels need an alcohol detox to safely stop drinking. I think it is scandalous that so few people can get that on the NHS. GPs used to dish out Librium prescriptions but it was often indequate dosage (which meant people had to drink to stop withdrawal symptoms, then the GP said they had a bad attitude) and there was absolutely no supervision.

Then, quite sensibly, GPs were told that they shouldn't give Librium for alcohol detox and should refer to community drug and alcohol teams where that was supposed to be available and supported but, in most areas, it is not and, in those where it is, people have to wait months. There should be a community detox service in every part of the country but there simply isn't.

I therefore can't advise people what to do, because there isn't an answer unless they can afford to do it privately. Appalling!

• Posted

HI Dylan. Greatings to the best forum for cure! Yes, we are many who can assist and guide you and nice that you are concerned and want to do something. My 1st question: have you hit rock bottom and ready to stop?? or not?? you do not seem to be fully addictive but it is good that you might be ready since it is not clever to hit rock bottom when you can loose everything and YES that was my 3 yrs ago and I stopped stone cold..pls let us know and we will assist you. I suggest that you gradually cut down and stop 1st January..ok?? regards Robin
  • Posted

Hi Dylan.. I should listen to Paul's advice.....withdrawal can be both extremely unpleasant and also dangerous....you really need a doctor's advice....believe me.... I know. I have been through it many. Many times....home detox....inpatient detox...four times in a mental health HOSPITAL....I only ever tried on my own a few times....I would not !!! Recommend it....

Under supervision it is easier....and my goodness ....it is absolutely wonderful to have....

A clear head........to sleep properly.......to have your energy and appetite back.....to feel healthy.....and to ACTUALLY...LIKE YOURSELF AGAIN.....I promise you...it will turn your life around.....but never try to go it alone.....also ask if you can have a community alcohol nurse....I had one for many years ..and we became friends....alcohol nearly killed me many times..but thank god that was 13 yrs ago ...I wish you so much luck ....one more important thing....

Never, ever, ever be ashamed to ask for help ...or admit you have a problem....no one makes a decision to become an alcoholic....you are not !!!! A bad or weak person....I wish you luck and a wonderful . Wonderful future....hugs to you...sincerely yours....Dee xxx

• Posted

You are right Deidre about Paul since he is a professional and one of the most active people here. Always unbiased and prudent advice. Try checking out Paul's replies Dylan
  • Posted

no news Dylan?? we did not hear from you?? concerned and hope that you are ok...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.