Beta Blocker Bisoprolol Fumarate

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

My husband was given Bisoprolol Fumarate after a heart attack.  He has suffered every side effect listed.  The doctor said he could stop it and he has just about cleared the side effects but, his cardiologist wants him to take a beta blocker.  Can anyone on this forum recommend a beta blocker that is not going to give him all the side effects please.  When we see the doctor we can then ask for something else instead of bisoprolol.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jen I’m no doctor but before I went on Bisprolol I was on propranalol for 30+ years and until just lately they’ve served me fine. I’ve had side effects from Bisprolol but the doc reduced from 5 to 2.5mg and don’t want to tempt fate but I seem to be doing ok.  I tried Atenolol a while back but my BP went through the floor so had to stop them. Hope hubby goes on ok. By the way my hubby had heart attack and he now takes atenolol no side effects for him. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

He was on 2.5mg but he had every side effect and was so ill. I want to be armed with information about the best one to take before he sees the doctor as he will be forced back on them.

• Posted

hi sue,im so worried im on propananol for anxiety only 10mg twice a day,but I now have high blood pressure and my doctor as said just stop the propananol and go on bispoprolol 2.5mg,im very scared is it safe to just stop one type to go on the other
  • Posted

Hi Jen,  I'm so sorry about your husband suffering the side effects of Bisoprolol.  And 'fingers crossed' for you, that his cardiologist can prescribe him a better one.  The trouble is that most tablets have side effects some more than others.  Amiodarone is a 'no no' the side effects of that particular drug are horrendous!  I'm sorry I can't be of any help but, someone on this forum may be able to suggest a beta blocker that will help. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks. I do not want him to take them but the cardic rehab nurse said the cardiologist was insistant he must. Trouble is they are not living with the side effects and the side effects were bad, he was so ill. Hubbies heart attack was only in february, then more stents in a april, people on here will have more insight into beta blockers than we do and I would like to be armed with information before he sees the doctor.
  • Posted

Sotalol turned out to be better for me than bisoprolol. I had Prophylactic AF - which has now been fixed by an ablation - "Pulmonary Vein Isolation", I think the cardiologist called it.

Hope you find something that suits.

Best wishes

• Posted

I still have the side effects of Bisoprolol a year after stopping them. So they tried me on Sotalol, that gave me the most horrendous cough that whilst the coughing frenzy stopped as soon as I stopped taking the Sotalol, I am left with a permanent desire to cough. Never again will anybody get me to take any beta blocker.
  • Posted

I tried Atenolol, Bisoprolol and Nebivolol.

Nebivolol had the most tolerable side effects.

Bisoprolol was the worst, but I had both huge breathing problems both on Atenolol and Bisoprolol.

On Nebivolol I had milder breathing problems but a lot of dizziness.

But for me, dizziness was a lesser evil than being able to breathe and being tired all day long.

On the other hand, Bisoprolol is the strongest Beta Blocker.

Each person is different.

Everyone reacts differently to a different drug.

My opinion, ask your doc about Atenolol or Nebivolol.

And give it a chance let's say for 4 weeks.

Maybe it will be less bad than Bisoprolol.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your input. My hubby is seeing his cardiologist on Thursday and I need all the info I can get as he is detetmined to put him back on bisoprolol. These doctors are not living with the side effects, no way will I let him take that again, he was too ill without quality of life.
    • Posted

Good Luck for Thursday.  Please let us know how it all goes. Like many others on here who take Bisoprolol ~ we're fed-up with the awful side effects of this dreadful drug.  Best Wishes,  LuckyPenny

• Posted

Hi LuckyPenny1,

My hubby saw his consultant yesterday, after we explained all the side effects he has not put him back on a beta blocker but another drug which also has horrible side effects called amiodarone for ectopic beats. I believe the bisoprolol has caused the extra beats on his heart. If they were there before they were not a problem and spaced out, suddenly after all the side effects from bisoprolol these extra beats appear every second beat.

Now we are looking at either an ablation or a defibrillator being implanted. He has a lot to deal with suddenly. It never rains it but pours.

• Posted

Hi Jen,  When I was in my forties I asked a cardiologist if I could be put on Amiodarone and the reply was "no" I asked her why and she told me that Amiodarone is only prescribed to older people because of the side effects. It's not a good drug, Sotalol is a good one with very little side effects.  I truly feel for you both, I really do. I wish I had a 'magic wand' for all of us.  

• Posted

He should take Magnesium supplements
    • Posted

Hi Leslie,

I take magnesium and believe it is vital to health. I have mentioned it to a guy in cardiac rehab, he said don't you dare give him magnesium it causes atrial fribullation!. I do not agree, he does not understand the importance of magnesium. My hubby will not go against them, even though the bisoprolol has caused him so many problems.

• Posted

Hi Jen,  Your pharmacist will be able to advise you about your husband taking magnesium because they will know what medication your hubby is taking and if it would cause an interaction. Taking magnesium in a high dose can cause an irregular heartbeat amongst other side effects.  Best to seek advice from a qualified health professional.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.