Beta Blocker not lasting full 24hrs

Posted , 6 users are following.

As per the title

I find that some days my Beta Blocker (5mg Bisoprolol) is not lasting the full 24hrs and allowing breakthrough A-FIB after around 18 - 20 hours.

Does anyone else find this?, if so what is the answer? should I up the dose with the Dr's blessing, or split the dose in two and take half morning and half night?.

or is there another answer?.

Many thanks for any help or advice as usual

Andy.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm also on Bisoprolol (2.5mg) and used to take it in the morning.Mmy afib episodes always started at around 3am which to me was not coincidence.. About 3 months ago I started taking it at 3pm and have not had an episode since. Maybe daily activity keeps the heart in rhythm until the next dose.

• Posted

Quote : "Maybe daily activity keeps the heart in rhythm until the next dose."

i think there is some truth in that Marco

• Posted

If it was me i would do both. 3.75 morning and evening and see if that worked. It is trial and error and everyone is individual.
  • Posted

Hi Andrew,  I too was getting A-Fib episodes when I was taking a lower dose of Bisoprolol. So, the GP I saw upped it to 10mg which (touch wood) has been fine for the last few years. Hope this helps, but, do get your doctor's blessing on your dosage. Good Luck.

• Posted

Judith & Lucky penny

i agree, i think its time to speak to the Dr and get the dose and times tailored properly

if i hadnt have visited him several times telling him each time 2.5mg wasnt working anymore then I would have never got his full attention and to agree to try 5mg.

2,5mg worked for all of 2 weeks before i started getting more and more frequent episodes as the days wore on.

5mg lasted about the same before it started again.

I know the Dr isnt a mind reader or miracle worker but I just wish he'd be a bit more understanding about how damn life changing worrying and annoying A-FIB is.

• Posted

For extra info to my question, i take the 5mg dose at midday in a single dose.
  • Posted

Hi Andrew,

I also had problems with my Bisoporol, I had a word with my local pharmacist and she told me to take it in the evening which I did and have had no problems since.

Hope you get it sorted as you say Afib can be very scary GP's and cardiac consultants wouldn't be so blaza if they had had it.

L.

• Posted

Quote: " Afib can be very scary GP's and cardiac consultants wouldn't be so blaza if they had had it."

Too true Linda'!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.