BetA bLOCKER wITHDRAWAL

Posted , 10 users are following.

Looking for someone who has experienced beta blocker withdrawal. Was on Metoporol 50mg for 30 years, taken off by a cardiologist cold turkey, been suffering for last 7 months with severe symptoms. Five visits to E.R. numerous doc visits and no one can figure out what's wrong. They ignore me when I mention BB withdrawal. Help???

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

when I was on that medication I was told you never cold turkey that med. I weened myself over a month and I was only on it for 6 months the med had terrible side effects

• Posted

Thanks Tom. I had no side effects when on it, but when taken off, I had severe withdrawal. Still going on today 7 months later.

• Posted

Hi Kent,

30 years wow, unbelievable how doctors just leave you on tablets for years and years.

My hubby was on bisoprolol for only 2 months, he was so ill with the side effects, it still took a few weeks to leave the system, the GP said it could take 3 months. After 30 years it will take a longer time for withdrawal from your body and for your body to find a new normal as it is not used to living without this drug. It will not be pleasant but you will need to go through the withdrawal. Loads of good luck for this journey you are going through.

• Posted

Thanks for reply Jenn. What I failed to mention in my first post is that at my request they put me back on metoporol after the first 4 months of being off, thinking that was the problem. So now my body is really confused having to "re-adjust" back to having it in my system. Lorazepam is helping with side effects but still a nightmare each and every day.

• Posted

Like the different experiences here and on this site. I have been on Bisoprolol for 2 years! It has been awful the side effects are a nightmare literally. I hardly sleep, I feel sick with aniety (Never before have I had anxiety) i wake up after an hour and cannot get back to sleep, adrenaline rush, among other things. This medication is a nightmare.

I have no weened off it yrt but I am in talks with the cardiologist to try Nebilet instead.

These drugs you should never come off cold turkey.

What are you withdrawal symptoms?

• Posted

I don't know how you could stand to be on this medicine so long. I decided if my life had to be like it was life wouldn't be worth living. I had to litterly argue with my cardiologist to get off.

• Posted

I have had severe bouts with anxiety, which never had before this, blood pressure spiking, chills/tremors, insomnia, cold sweats, severe muscle cramping in chest and abdomen, many palpitations/fluttering in heart area etc. I've read it may take my body up to a year to adjust back to normal. I'm 7 months in already.

• Posted

my husband reduced his slowly over about 2 years. No problems at all. Maybe you've done it too quickly.

• Posted

I should also say that before withdrawing from it, my husband was on Bisoprolol 2.5mgs for about 8 years with no problems and I've been on Bisoprolol 3.75mgs for 3 years for angina and have had no problems at all.

• Posted

The four medicines the doctors have had me on for high blood pressure was bipoporol, metropoporol, lopoporol and olmesartan. All of which lowered the blood pressure but made life unlivable. About 21/2 months ago was diagnosed with pericarditis, have been on Prednisone and colchicine since, hopefully in time this will go away and not end up being chronic. Before all the trials with these medications Life was great. Blood pressure was a little high but felt terrific. Boy can life turn around!

• Posted

The four medicines the doctors have had me on for high blood pressure was bipoporol, metropoporol, lopoporol and olmesartan. All of which lowered the blood pressure but made life unlivable. About 21/2 months ago was diagnosed with pericarditis, have been on Prednisone and colchicine since, hopefully in time this will go away and not end up being chronic. Before all the trials with these medications Life was great. Blood pressure was a little high but felt terrific. Boy can life turn around!

• Posted

hi Kent

so sorry for your suffering! i know what it is like to suffer withdrawal for months and nonths. i have done itcseveral times.

im trying to wean off my low dose Atenolol at the monent abd boy is it hard! im resorting to micro dosing with a liquid using a 1ml syringe. you can contact me if you would like to talk

• Posted

hi Kent

so sorry for your suffering! i know what it is like to suffer withdrawal for months and nonths. i have done itcseveral times.

im trying to wean off my low dose Atenolol at the monent abd boy is it hard! im resorting to micro dosing with a liquid using a 1ml syringe. you can contact me if you would like to talk

• Posted

hello, is anyone still active on this forum? i plan on stopping Bisoprolol soon. as i do not want to rely on this medication forever.

i am on 5mg. 2.5 morning and 2.5 night.

i have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but its not too severe.

before i started Bisoprolol in January my resting heart rate was between 90-101. whilst on Bisoprolol my Resting HR is 80. a couple of weeks ago i stopped taking it (weaning off over a couple weeks)

my heart rate has never been so high! i thought i was going to die and couldn't stop shaking with fear.

am i going to have to stay on this forever? i feel hopeless and don't know what to do 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.