Beta-blocker withdrawal symptoms.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I’m up at almost 6am afraid to go to sleep because my heart has been pounding so hard and so fast that I can hear it in my ears. I’m sure people have seen my previous post about me stopping the beta-blockers. Today makes my 3rd week of being off of them after a 5 month run of 100mg drug. Currently on a ACH inhibitor, so I haven’t NOT been taking anything for my high BP. Has anyone had this problem going off beta-blockers and will the withdrawal symptoms ever go away?? When my heart used to pound that fast before I was taking beta blockers (from anxiety or stress) it didn’t take much for it to slow down. But it’s been hours and it’s been fluctuating in between 110-124 BPM. I don’t know if it’s because the fact that it is beating so fast that’s not helping it come down or what. Either way, I am worried and annoyed. No chest pain. No problem breathing. I didn’t have any problem with my heart before the beta blockers but I’m afraid that problems may develop them since I’ve stopped them. I’m so mad at myself for not defeating these things when my doctor first talked about prescribing them. Now I don’t know what’s gonna happen with me from here on out and I’m scared.

P.S. - Just to be clear, I am 22 years old, and I have high BP. And anxiety. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

***corrections*** ACE inhibitors. And today actually makes only 2 WEEKS since I stopped the beta-blockers and started the new meds. As you can see, my nerves are really shot. Hence, the mistakes. 
  • Posted

I hope you are doing well.

i know this post is a few months ago. But how are you doing now since stopping beta blockers. I’m on the same boat now.

please update me

• Posted

I’m actually doing much better now. Since I was only on beta-blockers for about five months, the withdrawal symptoms only lasted for about a month. The fast heart rate dropped and the weight I gained from the meds dropped too. It was like my stomach deflated. Since the beta-blocker slows your heart rate down, getting off of them sort of kinda confuses things, and your heart has to get back to it’s normal rhythm. Give it time, and if what you’re feeling gets to be too much to handle, definitely see talk to your doctor. 
    • Posted

Thanks buddy I really appreciate the reply. 

I’m weaning off currently and I’m barely taking anything ( grain of sand ) I feel much better already. But the physical anxiety and jumps in heart rate is still there but better. 

Any advice on how to wean off ?

• Posted

Keep taking your time with weaning. Gradually reduce your dosage. When my doc changed my prescription, he just told me to stop taking them and start the new meds. I think slowly but surely weaning myself off would have helped with the awful withdrawal side effects I had. 
  • Posted

It's been years since these messages so hopefully any of you guys see it.

How are you feeling today?

Ive been off BBs for a month now and I was doing great, the all of the sudden symptoms came on. At this moment now Im just dealing with lots of anxiety?

Anyhow I just wanted to see a timeline to see if you guys felt better in time being off this?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.