Beta Blockers?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi have been suffering with general anxiety for a long time and take Citalopram which has worked well for me.  Had a health scare last year which has been sorted but feel I am stuck in the "habit" of negative thinking which causes anxiety.  Have seen a therapist who was good but feel I need a new direction so am starting clinical hypnotherapy next week.  My gp prescribed Propranalol - 10mg twice a day but this didn't really have an effect.  He said I can go up to 20mg twice a day which I started yesterday - they do make me feel tired though and I wondered whether anyone else has taken them and how they worked for you?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have not taken the mess, but maybe you should try the new therapy first before you increase your mess.
  • Posted

Have not taken the meds, but maybe you should try the new therapy first before you increase your mess.
  • Posted

Hi Sue. I have taken propranalol in the past. Initially they made me feel tired too but I think you need to persevere for a week or two and see how it goes. If the tiredness doesn't go away then speak to your doctor again.
  • Posted

Dear Sue

The extent to which Propranolol will be effective for you is not something that can be precisely compared to anyone else taking the drug.

The reason I say this is because every person reacts uniquely to drugs of any kind. It is an established fact that two identical drugs with exactly the same active ingredient, will work for one person more effectively than another. This is sometimes to do with different additives or binders that manufacturers use. So, although comparisons are odious, I fully agree that the tiredness is almost certainly a side-effect of Propranolol.

Your dosage is not particularly high. I take 160mg per day, and after a short while the tiredness I experienced wore off as my body adjusted to the drug. I'm sure it will be the same for you, but avoid the desire to self-medicate. Consult your Doctor before adjusting your dose without his/her advice.

Very best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hello, I've started on propanolol today, 80 mg modified release, adrenalin still pumping feel worse today cause got interview tomorrow. I've had to take 1mg lorazepam today & I've just taken another 1/2 of one to help me sleep. Is the propanolol helping you?

😘

• Posted

Hello Brendababy

First of all, good luck with your interview and be sure to let us know how you dealt with it. It would be perfectly 'normal' for anyone to feel under increased stress prior to something like this, so you will no doubt have had this weighing heavily on you.

We will all be thinking of you and hope that whatever you want, you get, and that it turns out to be the best thing for you.

The Propanolol can be effective quite quickly. Its actions are more like that of a painkiller. With anti-depressants, there is usually a period of between two to four weeks for them to take effect, as the chemical needs to build up in the body.

I am guessing you have been prescribed 80mg tablets like me? Or perhaps a smaller dose but repeated so that the total is 80mg per day. The principle purpose of this drug is to regulate heartbeat, but don't worry, there is nothing wrong with your heart.

As you know, all drugs have side-effects, and occasionally, those side-effects can be harnessed for good. You have been given Propranolol because it has a mild effect on anxiety and for some people, it may make them feel slightly sedated. The best that can be said about this medicine is that it is not addictive, and there is no evidence that a person becomes dependent on it. If you go 'cold turkey' on Propranolol, as a rule, you don't have withdrawal symptoms.

Where I would really like to caution you is with the use of Lorazepam. I don't know how long you have been taking them, but they are one of the most addictive drugs in the Benzodiazepine group. They are extremely effective, which is why they come in doses as small as 1mg. They kick in very quickly, but the downside is that their effect doesn't last as long.

It is very unwise to mess around with Lorazepam without proper medical support. I speak from personal experience. But you sound very sensible and I get the impression that you are in control.

As for me, yes, the Propranolol does help me, particularly during the day, as the initial drowsiness it produced has long since worn off. I also feel more comfortable with them than the other meds I take, because I know that my body will not become dependent on them.

I'm sorry to have prattled on, but being awake so early, I have the time, and I can't think of any better way to use it other than to reply to your message.

I'm sorry you've had to cope with the 'bad' adrenaline today. Let's hope that soon you will be up to doing things that give you the good one that leaves you feeling on a natural high.

Will you please accept my very best wishes, and once again, good luck at the interview. I'll keep you in mind.  :-)

• Posted

Thank you so much for yor kind words. Only just got up and already the adrenaline is flowing through me I feel very unwell & don't know how I'm going to sit through an interview. I'm going to take the 80 mg modified release tab, doc said it will slowly release throughout the day, but I'll need to take a lorazepam to calm me down b4 I go to interview . Don't know why I'm putting myself through this, my stomach feels really inflamed with all the chemicals & acid in it.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on today and thanks for taking the time to respond to me 😄

• Posted

Hello brendababy

I guess it was inevitable you would be feeling extra anxious this morning, but at least you know the reason for it.

I hope the combination of the new dose of phased release Propanolol plus a single dose of Lorazepam did just enough to help you survive the interview.

The big question is how did you do? I think the answer is going to be either 'Very Well', or, 'Extremely Well'.  :-)

• Posted

Hi, here goes, had the propanolol, then bout 1 hour later had 1/2 lorazepam . Felt really nervous but went for interview, I did feel a bit more calm but because of the situation the adrenalin was still trying to break through. A panel of 3 people throwing questions at Me... Nightmare, anyway, got through it and guess what?.... Got phone call in afternoon telling me id been successful. This is proof that anything is possible if you just go for it.

Thanks for your kind words and reassurance, you ever thought bout counselling for a living lol ☺️

• Posted

Hey!

There you go! So even better than "extremely well".

Way to go girl. You make me feel proud. You've encouraged me and I'm sure provided the same to anyone reading your thread. 'Well done' doesn't begin to cover it. For you, this was an emotional Everest, and you made the summit. There is only one thing left to say......

MANY CONGRATULATIONS!

• Posted

Thank you so much rainboy you really are kind I'm so glad I came across this forum it has helped me put things into perspective knowing others are trying to cope with debilitating symptoms as well. Hopefully I can continue to put my symptoms aside & get on with daily life.

Speak soon 😎👏💼

• Posted

yes your right , i depends on the person, i mean how many could take my 6mg ativan a day they would be asleep for 4 days if first time user. the 6mg just work on me after years of abuse
    • Posted

Thanks a lot. I'm glad you agree, just as I agree with your comment above on Ativan.

People in general presume that someone with a bad experience on a certain drug, means they will too. They may do of course, but it's just not a given.  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.