Beta Blockers

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was taking the Beta Blocker Labetalol for 3 months. My doctor took me off 5 days ago. I have been to the ER 3 times in 5 days because i thought i was having a heart attack. My whole body is weak, my chest is tight, i have a cough, pain going down both arms, back pain, leg cramps, headache and face tightness. Doctors are say anxiety and withdrawal. Has anyone gone through this and how long will it last. I am scared to take the anxiety pills because thats just another drug. Help me please I a teacher and cant even return to work

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well, I can't help with Labetalol, but I take Bisoprolol and from what I have heard you it is dangerous to just stop taking those. They should be cut down gradually by reducing the dose once a week, even by cutting the tablets in half if necessary. Can you get a second opinion? Maybe a different doctor at the same practice?

• Posted

i started a 400mg then down to 200 mg then 100mg then 50mg. Now off but feel horrible but my bp is under control. I am having anxiety attacks from withdrawal issues

• Posted

I was on bisoprolol only

Was told to just stop 5 days prior to an attempted ablation.

Went through terrible withdrawals. But i did not know it was withdrawals. I thought it was anxiety and was put on trazodone and a benzo. (Clonezepam) Worst decision of my life. If I knew then what I know now........

• Posted

So this feeling could be just terrible withdrawal. I really don't want to take this medicine for anxiety because i just got off this bad beta blocker and dont want to have to try to ween off anxiety pills too. How long did the withdrawal last? its been five days for me and i have been to the er 3 times thinking im having a heart attack. My body hurts and then gets really weak plus tension headaches. I am just miserable. i am a teacher and can not return to work.

• Posted

Well, it started immediately. As mentioned I thought it was anxiety so I started the benzo and trazodone.

I really can not remember how long it took for the 2 drugs to help. BUT, it was a huge mistake. I took them for about 18 months, and then had the grueling task to wean off these.A complete nightmare. And now being 2 years post, I still have waves and windows. Time and patience is all you have

• Posted

HI Deek i was on Bisoprolol for 8 weeks hell on them coming off them worse all your all your side affects and loads more the Dr told me to keep taking this vile pill 2.5 so i went to see another Dr he said cut in half 1.25 for a week and stop few been to hell and back odd day ok then next hell again beta blocker are Evil i was so ill one week went to A&E had ECG and all bloods dun the nurse said i have a heart off a 21 year old i am 69 i said been on biso see said that drug should be band saw Dr said all bloods fine nothing the matter with you and i should not have been put on a beta blocker just for HB I take amlodipine 5 mg i am into 11 months now some days ok and some bad think bad days are little better the girl in health shop H&B said it took her two years i feel as i have been poisoned by this evil vile horrible drug i think ween off very very slowly sorry can not help

• Posted

it is due to sudden withdraw. Betablockers should be withdrawn by gradual dosage decrease. Anyway, your mentioned symptoms are temporary and not need to be treated with other drug. GP doctors mission is to treat the person as whole entity and not just prescribe medication for each symptom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.