Beta blockers and alcohol

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I'm on metoprolol for my tachycardia and tonight I'm supposed to go to a Halloween/end of midterms party where there will be drinking. I actually haven't had alcohol in a while since I've been really focused on school, and I haven't had any since I started my medication. I'm just wondering if anyone on here is on a beta blocker and had alcohol. My doctor never mentioned it and it doesn't say anything on the bottle so I'm assuming it's relatively safe, but I am pretty sensitive to medication (for example I cut the pill in half because I can't handle the full dosage) so I'm afraid alcohol will be a bad idea? I just want to let loose tonight and not let my anxiety ruin my night 😡

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ive been on beta blocker medication in the past, and I drank alcohol on them and I was fine. It did make me get drunk faster and I felt very tired and groggy the next day. But im not a doctor so I dont actually know if your supposed to drink on them or not. Maybe speak with your GP to be on the safe side smile

• Posted

I would totally have asked my cardio but I didnt even think about it until today and she's not in on Friday's sad but thanks for the reply !

• Posted

How old are you

With medications they do cover their backs If you have just started this new medication be cautious.

I sometimes take these types of drugs and do have a drink enough to wet the babies head

Ask your Surgery, what they advise.

• Posted

If you do drink, be social and curb your drinking a bit I suppose

You can actually go onto NHS Choices and check your medications in the Mimms The drug explanation will explain all you need to know when taking these mdications

• Posted

I have tha same medication as you, I have 2x 40ml a day - I have been out and got drunk on many occasions and have been fine on the night. The only thing I find is that the next day I feel like the beta blockers aren't working and I get anxious along with a hangover. So yes you are fine to drink with them! Go out and enjoy your nights smile

• Posted

A drink or two definitely won't kill you. But I always tell people to refrain from drinking when taking medications, just to be on the safe side. That said, if you have a few during the party it won't be a big deal. Just don't over do it. Have fun & be safe!

• Posted

I know it's been 8 months since you did this pot. But I wanted to tell you I've been on this exact medicine since I was about 33 and I'm 47 now. I go to a website and always look up medicine interactions before I take any medicine, more than 1 or that 1 with alcohol every single time. Better save than sorry. It's called Medscape.com and yes alcohol is safe wit metoprolol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.