Beta blockers or another ablation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 22 nearly 23 I was diagnoses with SVT 3 years ago and had an ablation quite swifty afterwards as my heart reached 234 beats a minute - when it was caught that is! And I was also collapsing with it - one day as many as 7 times in the space of a few hours! I had the ablation and I thought it was all ok. However I still kept collapsing and was put on fludrocortisone which raises my blood pressure as it would drop, yet I still kept collapsing.. Not as much but still. I then had a reveal device put in my chest a year and a half ago to monitor my heart rate and it will record anything over 170 bpm.. A year ago it started to pick up my heart rate going to 190 bpm and about six months or so ago I was told my svt was back. I have been put on bisoprolol but it makes me so tired all the time and restricts what I can and cannot do. I don't know whether to come off my beta blockers or not and I don't really know how to suggest it and justify it to my cardiologist seeing as now I'm on beta blockers I'm not having any episodes. I personally would like another ablation so I don't have to be on meds for life and I don't want all the restrictions on my life. Any suggestions would be great as I really don't know what to do.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma. I have found that bisoprolol makes me tired but I would rather be tired than to experience bad bouts of AF and rapid heart beat. You are young so I suppose you have to work and I am retired so can have a nap in the day time if I need it. I was put on carvidolol which did not make me tired but it didnt really control my heart beat or my BP. I hope you get it sorted soon, you could ask your cardiologist if you could try Carvidolol as an alternative. Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hiya

I've had SVT diagnosis for about 3 years. Was on Bisoprolol on low dose but had several side effects I didn't like. They switched me to Verspamil 80mg x 3 and I haven't had an incident in last 3 months and last one was mild . Minor side- effects: a little tingling in my hands. Everything else ok. Am on waiting list for ablation but am anxious about risks. I'm 59. I'd ask about Verapamil.

• Posted

The only problems I had when taking verapamil for eleven years were constipation and slightly more sensitive to sun and heat.
    • Posted

Hi Derek, 

That's very interesting. What dose were you on and why did you stop taking it? Was it for SVT?

• Posted

I was prescribed it for hypertension as all the other drugs had given me bad side effects. I was initially on 240 mg of modified release verapamil (brand name Securon SR) it was ater increased to 240 mg twice a day but later reduced to 240 mg when I was  prescribed Losartan.

I did not have SVT but I did/do have ectopic heart beats. 

I developed aortic stenosis and then AF after my aortic valve was replaced. At that point verapamil was stopped and I was prescribed a beta blocker, amiodarone and warfarin.

After cardioversion the beta blocker was stopped. The surgeon said that

I could stop amiodarone and warfarin after staying in sinus rhythm for six months. The cardiologist did not agree:-) I eventually stopped them due to side effects and went back to aspirin. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.