Beta blockers vs ablation

Posted , 8 users are following.

Up until the last two months i have only ever had episodes of SVT roughly once or twice a year. Recently however they have been getting a lot more frequent and in the last two months i have had three episodes. I have been in hospital twice this week, once for an SVT episode lasting 90 minutes at a rate of 240bpm which thankfully stopped before i got to hospital and the the second time because i was having lots of flutters or forceful beats every 3 minutes or so. I have previously discussed an ablation with a cardiologist which i didnt react well to and ended with me fainting in his office! I was also able to discuss the option of beta blockers recently with a doctor who said he would be happy to prescribe them to me. I understand beta blockers are only a temporary solution however if anyone could share their experience with them i.e whether they have decreased SVT episodes or any side effects that would be much appreciated. Also if anyone has had an ablation and whether or not that has worked for them.

Thanks cheesygrin

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have been on metoprolol for seven months now.  They have GREATLY reduced my episodes of SVT.  I can live with this but like I recently posted I'd like to try to get off them.  However, if I go off and they come back I imagine I will go back on them again.
  • Posted

Hello Salx, I suffered psvt for five years and I was on betablockers.  My usual svt rate was 160, and it was sometime before I found the best method of stopping them;by sitting down holding my breath and straining hard.  The betablockers made me feel yuk if there is such a word, plus my svt was interfering with my quality of life so I elected to have an ablation.  I say elected because as far as the hospital was concerned I was otherwise fit with a structurally normal heart.  However, in December 2014 I had my ablation and, touch wood, I have not had an episode since.  I had no problems at a;llcoming off betablockers.  If your doctor advises an ablation then go for it.  The betablockers helped a lot by reducing the episodes, but the svt did not go away and I continually felt rough with the drug.
    • Posted

Hi geoff10274 

Thanks for your message. I am currently on betablockers but they do make me feel dizzy, lethargic and tired a lot of the time. How was the ablation for you? I am on the list waiting for a date for the operation but i am so so nervous im not sure i can even go through with it...

• Posted

Hello Salx,

You are down for an ablation so therefore your medical team concludes it is viable to do which means you really must have it have it done.  I was wheeled into a laboratory and was placed in front of a large screen and there were monitors near the screens so the physiologist could see what he was doing.  I was given a local anesthetic only which worked really well.  The physiologist gave instructions to his colleague behind the screen and the whole team worked closely together.  They monitor your condition closely throughout the procedure and I would not hesitate to have it done again if need be.  Try and relax as this will help you prepare.  The procedure sounds much worse than it actually is, and there have been recent improvements in techniques.  The high chances of success mean that you must put your trust in your medical team and go for it.  Best wishes.  

• Posted

Ablation definitely. I had my ablation yesterday at Blackpool cardiac unit. I was diagnosed 6 months ago with svt. About 1.5 years ago my heart randomly raced fast and hard for about 10 mind and stopped on its own suddenly. But 6 months ago I was just sitting outside my kids school at home time to pick them up and it started again, a lot worse than last time. About 40 mins later I rang 111 and they advised to go to A & E. With my heart rate recorded at 280bpm I was diagnosed with SVT and given Bisoprolol 2.5mg, to take once a day until I saw my cardiologist (who recommended ablation). Anyway the beta blockers were horrific, from my palpations being more frequent (not SVT attack), to not being able to breathe and no energy. I had to stay on them I was advised because the risk of not taking them was stronger than if I didn't. They did prevent further SVTs, but they were horrible. I went for the ablation yesterday, I feel almost normal. No sedation as they didn't want to mask the SVT, a little discomfort from procedure and they said I had AVNRT and it's 95% cured. Feel fine today, have to take Bisoprolol and aspirin for 6 weeks and then I can come off them. Even though I have to let it heal and it's the early stages I do feel 10 times better than I have for ages. I would recommend anybody to have ablation.
    • Posted

Hi skywalkerluke87

Thanks for your message. Could i ask how your ablation went? Hope you recovered well. I am waiting for a date for my operation. Im currently on beta blockers and have to take four a day to keep everything under control. Im so so nervous about the operation and so close to backing out of it completley.. The thing i am most nervous about is the fact that i will be awake when they are in there messing about in your heart eek im so nervous that it will be painful and about the sensations i will feel.

x

• Posted

Hello there,

Just wondering how you are making out now. I have the same tachycardia has you had. Trying to decide on ablation, I have been on bisoprolol for about a month now. Though I have not had any issues with SVT, I now seem to get alot of flutters. Not sure whether it is from themedication. I am 60 years old living in Canada and this issue just start a month or so ago. Weird.......I question the fluttering, as I have alot of stomach issues with gas/bloating and question whether my Vagas Nerve is related as when you have gas/bloating/belching this can trigger this nerve to send message to your heart and create palpations,

Hope all is good for you. Hopw to hear from you soon

• Posted

I have had SVT for appro 15years and for most of them it has been fairly well controlled with proprananol. I would still have episode but they would be easily reverted using valsalva or carotid massage.  It seemed like every two years I would have a cluster (and episodes seem to come in clusters) that required a presentation to emergency for the dreaded adenosine.  In 2015 the episodes became more frequent and my medication doubled.  The side effects are horrible.  I am having ablation next week.  I am stopping these meds today and am feeling very nervous about it because I was still having episodes whilst on them.  The meds work for a while but they will never really stop the episodes from happening.  I feel like SVT is limiting my activites for fear of an episode... here hoping for a cure..
    • Posted

Hi Melissa,

How did the ablation go? Hope it all went smoothly and you are recovering well. I am on the list waiting for a date for my ablation but i am so close to backing out of it.. Im stupidly nervous. I am also nervous about stopping my medication in time for the operation..

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.