Betahistine

Posted , 8 users are following.

What type of drug is betahistine? Is it a strong antihistamine?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Betahistine is a histamine not an antihistamine....they are opposites.  Betahistine is used to control vertigo in meniere's disease patients.  If you need more info/advice on this let me know.

• Posted

I'm on it already, I want sure what it was. I couldn't get it in Cali I have to order thru Canadian Pharmacy. I'm on 16 mg 3 x a day. I need to ask about upping my MG to 24

• Posted

any compounding pharmacy in Cali can make it for you.  When you buy it through Canada you are probably buying Serc which is a brand name for betahistine.  I believe Serc contains lactose so if you are intolerant of lactose you might want to have it made here instead.  Cost should be about the same.  Good luck!
    • Posted

If you want to have the med upped it cuz you are still dizzy. Look up side effects. That med makes you Dizzy. You are in California, great area. Get meclyzine by Bonine. Take 1 every 12 hours for the 1st week. You'll feel 100% better. Im in Niagara Falls Ontario Canada n go to USA to get this

• Posted

Terrible drug. In fact, it creates you to be dizzy. If you are in the USA or close get Meclyzine by Bonine. It helps me tremendously. No dizziness. Can function, work n drive.
    • Posted

I have both but only take mezclazine when I feel bad. I take betahistine 3xs a day and my dizziness has subsided a little. I think everyone is different. I have had no side effects with beta
  • Posted

Betahistine was developed specifically for Meniere's disease and it takes about a month to become fully effective. It is astonishingly free of side effects (apart from occasional mild gastric irritation which is easily managed with antacids or a proton pump inhibitor)  even in high doses.

I have taken 64mg tds for over 6 months with no problems and my consultant has patients on much higher doses than that! The professional advice I was given was to raise the dose to the level that completely stops vertigo/nausea attacks.  Once completely free of attacks for 5 to 6 months gradually wean off, but if symptoms start to reappear go straight back to previous highest dose and if necessary increase dose further and start the clock again.

Good luck.

• Posted

I was wondering as i have aother Dr as my doctor that Diognsied me with Minere's Disease moved away and gis centre went into liquidation and my files have not come thru too my new Doctor and i was only able too give him evidence from the paper work that i field and he is not signing the NDIS form for me as i believe that i have a Disability from this Medical Condition ( I llness and this new Doctor told me Minieres Disease is not a Dignosise and i am having trouble getting Support Carers as i believe i need one as i am on Medication for Depression 220 mg a day can i get some answers Thank you from you people that do have this Illness to here your opion on this as i am confused. Tas 1

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.