Betahistine complications

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Has anyone had any severe complications while taking Serc. I was put on Serc two months ago for Meniere's. But I was feeling unwell and having trouble walking and breathing. My neck and face were swelling and I was bloated every day. I was eating very little and I was so bad at one point that I could not even eat and had trouble swallowing. I went to the hospital and they took me off Serc.

Its been five days and there are still some days where I am bloated though not as severe. 

Has anyone gone through this, how long until the swelling goes down completely. My abdomen, arms and legs are still carrying some fluid. 

I have heart problems too and my heart rate was very high while I was on this medication. I still have effects after walking just a short distance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It is extremely unusual for betahistine to cause any adverse side effects - it is regarded as a very safe drug. It seems your medical status with heart problems may be playing a roll in what is going on and if your symptoms of bloating and fluid retention persist ask for a fresh cardiac assessment and review of all your medications.
    • Posted

Hi NeddyO

Thanks for your reply.

I understand and I know that this works for many people. I was still having problems even though I was taking betahistine. Its all new to me, all I know is I feel better since I have stopped taking this medication and I was really worried. My cardio did not feel it necessary to review my meds as I am stable now.

Thanks again

ana36

• Posted

Wow....you certainly have had bad reactions/allergy to Serc.   What dose of Serc were you started on?  Should be 4mg 3X/day...building up gradually to 16mg 3X/day (some folks need even higher dose).  If it was higher than 4mg to start that might explain your terrible reaction. Are you lactose intolerant?  If so, that could be why you are feeling bloated.  Serc contains lactose.  Also, body rash is common for many first time users of Serc/betahistine but usually goes away in a few weeks as your body adjusts to the med. The swelling in your throat and difficulty breathing are obviously the worst and most dangerous side effects and warrant discontinuation.  There are other ways to treat MD vertigo....if you need recommendations let me know and I'll be glad to message you privately. 

• Posted

Hi tanney

Thanks for your reply, I am sorry its been a while I have been unwell. I was on serc 16mg 3x per day. I am not a very large person so you could be right it could have been too much for me. Its strange that you mention lactose intolerance because I do not eat a lot of dairy products as  I never liked them and when I have they have upset my stomach.

I am still waiting to see the ENT again but I have not had any severe vertigo episodes since I have stopped taking any of the medication. Just lots of nausea and a little dizziness and tinnitus but I can tolerate it because I have not fallen over.  

I would like to have your feedback on any other ways I can treat Menieres. 

Its new to me but something has never been right with me as far as my balance and ear were concerned. I just put it down to my heart probs.

ana36 

• Posted

Stop taking them and see your GP asap

You can nip chat to the Chemist too but stop them asap

• Posted

I haven't had any reaction to this med, but it sounds like you may be having some type of allergic reaction which can prove to be dangerous. I think Suzanne has given you the best advice - talk to your doctor and pharmacist to determine what may be causing this and other options if it involves allergic reactions.

• Posted

Hi lillian

I know people that are fine with it too. I started noticing the effects about two weeks into taking them. I went to my GP and told her how unwell I was feeling but she told me it was nothing that I was fine. Perhaps if it was caught early on I would not have had this scare. Now she is going to send me for an allergy test.

Thanks again

ana36

• Posted

Hi Ana, I have also been on a 16mg/3Xday regimen. I did not have any reaction to the meds and as others have mentioned, it sounds like you may be allergic so I'm glad you are following up with your doctor. I have to have the meds compounded and they asked me if I was lactose intolerant due to the capsules they use. However, it took them 5-7 days to compound it. I had a wonderful response to the meds until I ran out before they filled it again, so missing a couple of doses sent my vertigo back into a tail spin. Other things I have tried are prednisone (shot my blood pressure to the moon), steroid shots into my eardrum (first time worked like a dream and worked for a few months but second and third shots also sent me into a tailspin), and last Friday I had a gentamicin shot into my eardrum after a lot of soul searching and prayer. This a more drastic measure because it destroys the nerve endings somehow that cause the dizziness but does not effect hearing (at least not too much more than it already was). He told me I would have a dizzy spell within 24-48 hours and may be fine with the one shot or need another in a month. He said most people have no more symptoms after the second shot, but he has had to give some up to 4 shots each a month apart. I did have a slight dizzy spell yesterday while merging into freeway traffic, but have chalked that up to some stress caused by a sick cat. My energy level is higher, my sleep is better, and overall I feel pretty good. If this doesn't end up working, I will then consider the surgery severing the nerve. I pray that nothing happens to my right ear which is fine right now. But that is in the future. Each of us is different, and if your symptoms are manageable and intermittent so you are not suffering too much, you may not need to take these measures. I suffered 30 dizzy spells from flashes to 3 hour dizziness and nausea from the last steroid shot  in February until I started the betahistine so I really found it intolerable, depressing, and something I felt I had to take the more drastic measures. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope to hear soon that you have found something that works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.