Bethanechol Failing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In April of 2016 I had the green Light Laser operation for Benign Prostate Enlargement.  The operation was a success but the urine still did not flow. (much)  It seems I had another problem. The bladdrer muscles were not doing their job.  I was instructed in how to self cath and that's what I did for 2 months.  My cath suppier kept me in enough #14 self lubed catheters to allow me to "tend to business" 4X per day although I rarely went beyond 3X per day.

After 2 months I was put on 25 mg bethanechol 3X per day.  SUCCESS! I WAS 17 AGAIN! GOOD-BYE CATHETERS!

However, lately (last 6 weeks or so) I have noticed that when I sometimes get up to go in the middle of the night and always upon awakening in the morning that when I tried to go...NOTHING!  I had to bear down and PUSH it out with muscles that I could control.  During the rest of the day everything was fine.

However, the pattern is beginning to repeat itself for the rest of the day as well.  I will see my UR in a few but I'm losing the battle so until I do see him I will self cath. (When I was taken off catheters I still had a 240 catheter "stash."  I'm glad I kept them.)

I'm suspecting that I have developed some sort of bladder ring obstruction of some sort.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had first hand experience with my situation or from anyone who would like to share an opinion.

Tom 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom,

You should have posted this on Men's Health > Prostate problems. You may have more responses.

• Posted

Thanks for the tip.

Q: If I take your advice wouldn't that be double posting?  If that allowed here?

• Posted

I don't know. You can always reword the title and contents a little. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.