Better

Posted , 3 users are following.

I saw the Dr on Thursday ( the 30th ) overall this was a much better visit. Last time I was in tears from the drive from my home to the office approx 20minutes this time yes it still hurts sitting for that long but not as bad. The Dr. was pleased with progress he said that considering the surgeries I had its going to take awhile maybe a year?? before most of the pain goes away and the odds of being pain free are almost nonexistent. That may sound bad but I have been in pain for years if my pain level gets down to a 5 I would be thrilled while some would think a 5 is too much. My biggest issue besides the pain soreness aching etc is walking I have a pronounced limp and that is due to my quad being about like putty ( very weak ) I have to keep pushing. When I walk not around my home but going for a walk have to use a cane hate to use it but do not trust myself w / o it. The Dr. was giving my some statistics based on a study of hip and knee replacements.For hip replacements 90% are glad they had it done 10% no with knee 30% are glad 55% okay but still have pain 15% wish they never had it done. I am in the 55% category. Still have swelling I wake up and feel like I am in my 90's knee is stiff swollen and hurts after moving around it gets better not great but better. As much as I have said it as well as others I keep reminding myself Patience and more Patience.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi im10wks still have swelling to the left of the knee I have a very sharp pain in the middle of the knee cap and tightness at the back of the knee I can just about manage the pain but I take in total 8  Co-Codamol a day bed time is bad as awake every hr trying to turn over I am now glad I have had it done due to the pain I was in and it was effecting my work but I was not  prepared  For the amount of pain I’m in need of the other keen to be done at the end of the yr but I have said no I will try and hang out till next yr as I can’t stant the thought of how bad it is at first But I know three things it won’t be the consultant that did the first knee my pain medication will be given on time and I will be more  prepared 
    • Posted

Your like me same symptoms I was given Dilaudid 4mg  for pain at one point I was taking 6 a day now two but starting to take one so it is getting better. You may think you were not prepared I was confident I was after 5 replacements same knee I thought I had it down to a science well I was wrong not even close. Yes the first 5 hurt and they hurt a lot but this last one # 6 put the others to shame. I was told but never figured the Dr. was going to right about how it was going to hurt so long story short it is getting better slowly but surely!! Prior to getting the L knee done again I was told at somepoint my R knee is going to need to be replaced. The only good thing about that my L has been such a pain in the butt I do not even think about my R so hopefully it will stay that way for awhile.
  • Posted

Thank you for reply, I agree with you entirely, I hope you feel 100% soon even before a year, most people are telling me a year, patience doesn't come easy to me , I would be in the 15% category ,......I wish I never got it done.

• Posted

I hope for your sake / sanity things will improve. I know first hand ( had lots of practice ) it hurts and that is putting it mildly. If you think about it each month tat goes by there is improvement maybe not night and day but some and I know how I felt when I got home and the first 6 weeks there was absolutely nothing nice to say about any of it. The fact is its a major operation and most surgeons ( thank God not all of them !! ) think its no big deal and claim by your 3 rd month you will be fine yeah well guess what they are full of it. I doubt if some of them really know or even care how much pain you go thru all they know is what they have been taught. From my experience quite a few are like that but there are a few that will tell you what to expect and do not sugar coat how its going to feel during your recovery. I really hope one day you will be happy you had this done or at least satisfied that you made the right choice. Just keep in mind have to have patience ( trust me that is very hard for me I have never been one that has had much if any patience )

Norman

• Posted

Hi Norman, I appreciate your honesty, and I agree 100% with everything you say,

I feel exactly the same, I bet a lot of the surgeons never had a TKR so they don't know how it feels....nothing was explained to me about the recovery...i still feel im sorry I got it done...all this exercise stuff and strenghtening the muscles, im doing my best but thats getting me down, I feel im not doing it right and I don't want to be doing and thinking about all that stuff for the rest of my life...worse decision I ever made. 🙄

• Posted

Hope I am not being a pain but here it is Sunday I had to go get a miter saw ( need to build some racks for my aquariums ) First place was out then went to WalMart and got one. Came home got out the weed trimmer and did the front yard. To be quite honest I hurt and I hurt enough that I do not feel like doing anything for the rest of the day. You wrote your going to avoid getting your other knee done for as long as you can thinking about all the pain stiffness feeling like garbage daily I really can see your point I guess I am trying to stay positive but after this surgery ( the 6th time I have had my L knee replaced / 18 surgeries total on my retarded knee ) if my R knee ever needs to be replaced I am going to put it off as long as I can. So I hate to say we both are in agreement!!
    • Posted

Oh my you did a lot today but the amount of operations you have had know wonder you are fed up I feel your pain the other reason I need to put it on hold is my husband has to have a Major re-construction operation on his stomach due to suffering with ulcerated colitis ending in having a stoma he has already had four major surgeries and a right mess they have left him in  he also has a skin cancer by the stoma  So as you can see I need to be fit well as fit as I can be xx
    • Posted

Wow, you did a lot yesterday ( Sunday ) I would think not doing anything else for the day was perfectly acceptable , especially if you had to join a line or que to pay for your purchase...i find standing without moving is so painful, as regard doing stuff around the house ,I have learned its OK to put off until a better day ,take care Norman x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.