Better with one heel-walking shoe or two ...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had surgery on my left foot 16 months ago (bunion removed and second toe straightened with K-wire). Post-surgery, I wore a Darco heel-walking shoe for the next 7 weeks and, as time went on, found that the front of my ankle became increasingly painful because of the angle at which it was in from heel-walking and having the other foot at a different height altogether; not great for the lower back either. The pain from that far outweighed the pain from the bunion and it took quite a few weeks beyond the time in the Darco shoe before the pain and stiffness went.  Roll forward to January 2016 when I had some bone growth removed from the left foot at the same time as having bunion removal and second toe straightened on the right foot, so I'm wearing a matching pair of the delightful black Darco shoes ... and it is actually so much easier to balance and get about and less painful on the ankle and also on the back that I wish I'd had the option of wearing a matching pair when I just had surgery on the left foot. I'll put the question/make the suggestion to my consultant when I go back in a couple of weeks and also ask physio. In the meantime, has anyone out there worn a pair of heel-walking shoes even though surgery was on just one foot? It may be that there are very good reasons for not doing so.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had double bunion surgery 10 weeks ago and my surgeon does not give heel walking shoes at all, they were just flat sandals.  I did tend to keep the weight on the back of my foot in the first few weeks, but when I had the bandages removed after ten days, the registrar told me I should be weight bearing on the whole of my feet.  Although I have rested with the feet raised a lot as instructed as well, I seem to have a good result, with no swelling now and just slight tenderness of the big toes.  Isn't it amazing how so many people having similar operations have completely different post-op care. It does sound painful to have one foot raised on a heel-walking shoe and not the other.  I was worried about having both feet done at the same time but now I would recommend it so long as people have someone to help them at home.
  • Posted

Hi Jayniejay,

I had bunion operation on both feet, plus the right second toe straightened with K-wire,  some 9 weeks ago, was given a pair of Darco wedge (weel-walking) shoes just as you describe, and wore the pair until week 7. They are funny looking but reasonably comfortable once you get used to them, and wear a pair. I tried, out of curiosity, putting on just one shoe, and it was horrible compared to wearing two. I would very much support the idea of wearing a pair, even if only one foot was operated, and cannot see any reason against it.

• Posted

Thank you for helping with the experiment, Yuri! I'll try and remember to post any feedback I get from my consultant and physio. I managed a slow 25 minutes walk around the block this morning, can't believe I'm doing that at just over 4 weeks post-op and I'm sure part of the reason is that I'm balanced with matching shoes. Hope you are recovering well, Yuri.
    • Posted

Hi Yuri. I saw the consultant yesterday for my 6 weeks check and all is fine. No need to wear heel-walking shoes any more! I told him that I couldn't understand why people are only given one shoe even if surgery is just on one foot and he totally agreed that it would be difficult and painful with just the one shoe. Seeing physio for my first appointment next week so I'll definitely be making my point!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.