Between eye operations - for short sighted

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a -13.0 in both eyes. The first eye is to be done next week. What's the best way of getting through to the time when the second eye is done. Might I muddle through without glasses? Or simply remove the lens for the corrected eye and continue with my glasses? Time is a bit short to have a clear glass lens fitted.

Feedback of experience would be appreciated.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I was a +8.50 in both eyes with -3.00 Astigmatism, very poor sight. I had 3 days in between eyes being done, and it was very strange but not unbearable. Depending on how long you have between eyes, it's actually quite fun to be able to see the contrast between your new good eye, and unoperated poor eye! 

My near vision was incredible after the first eye, but distance was blurry, I thought it was because I had only one eye done, but even with the second one it still took around a month for the distance vision to really clear up. 

Everyone is different and it's hard to know what your experience will be like, but I found only having one eye done for a few days (even with very strong prescription), was not too bad at all, and honestly I was far too distracted by the fact I had this super high definition near vision for the first time in my life!

Good luck! 

• Posted

Nizza594 - I was a +9 in one eye and a +9.5 in the other.  I know exactly what you're talking about when you said you were distracted by the fact that you had super high definition near vision for the first time in your life. I too was thrilled with my new vision after surgery.  I walked around the house picking up medicine bottles and reading the tiny print out loud to everybody.  Wow, I felt as if I were experiencing a miracle.

• Posted

Providing you can see clearly out of the first eye, I recommend going without glasses until the second operation. I found the distortion created by using glasses with one corrective lens implant to be too great. Having said that, while my shortsightedness was similar to yours it was combined with astigmatism. Consequently,  since vision from my uncorrected eye was poor I had to take greater care to avoid crashing into objects (e.g. doorways) on the same side. Fortunately it was only for about four weeks. I hope all goes well.
  • Posted

My left nearsighted eye is -8.5d and I had the same thoughts before the surgery. I removed one lens from the glasses thinking the left IOL eye would coordinate with the right prescription eye glass. The 2 eyes don't coordinate because images viewed are different sizes (focal lengths?). In the end, I settled with mono vision from the IOL eye. The right eye is -7.0d. It's resulted in 20/60 or 70 which is good enough for daily activities except you cannot drive (20/40). I haven't worn glasses since the surgery 5 weeks ago. However I'm getting upgraded prescription lens for the glasses for the IOL eye. That should arrive in a week or so.

• Posted

I had -8.75 in both eyes . After having one eye done I just went without my glasses until my other eye was done a week later . I tried removing the lense in my glasses fir the operated eye but it didn't work .Its amazing how the unoperated on eye adjusts . 

• Posted

If you simply remove the lens for the corrected eye in your glasses, there will be too much difference in image sizes with glasses for the brain to cope with. Thus, that will probably be not a good option.

You may be able to operate better without any glasses at all for distance and a reading glass for the operated eye for reading purpose.

Another thing worth trying will be to use a soft contact lens in the unoperated eye for correction. The image size problem with a contact lens is usually not an issue as it is with glasses. The doctor can just give you a trial contact lens for use, if you think that you will like to try it.

• Posted

Hi Grandpa Pete - I had first surgery I July and had to wait 6 weeks for 2nd surgery.  I just poked the lens out from one side of glasses and managed.  Thankfully had some vacation time and a week off after surgery to recover - those few weeks having to work like that were a little hard but my vision was -2.75 in unoperated eye so not as bad as yours plus I was able to read without glasses prior to surgery anyways.

• Posted

Unless I misunderstand your upcoming surgery (I'm assuming you're going to have cataract surgery), you cannot remove you new, surgically implanted prosthetic lens.  Depending on your vision, you may not be able to wear your glasses (I couldn't).  So, just try not to drive or go for a walk, etc.  I did (went for a walk) and misstepped due to poor depth perception, and broke my ankle during the week between surgeries.  Good luck to you.  

• Posted

Oh my goodness!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha.  I misunderstood your message.  I thought you thought you could remove the surgically implanted lens.  So sorry for the goofy response above.
    • Posted

"No more horror stories about braking your ankle!" That's awful.

Speaking of which I cycle and when I ride into a shaded area, I'm blind as a bat! Good to carry spares and have good brakes.

• Posted

........ and wear a helmet!
    • Posted

The good news is I can see well without the use of corrective lenses of any kind.  Oh, and my ankle has healed.  I'm back to running and biking.  I need to get a helmet!

• Posted

Well I had my pre op assessment on Saturday. Advice was simple. Try both options and settle for which one suits me. Some people also opt for an eye patch over their unoperated eye. So anything goes!

Surgery on Friday.

• Posted

No contest. Using my glasses with a lens removed  gives hopeless double vision. Much better with no glasses.

Will start a thread about other issues.

• Posted

Agreed. Just had my glasses revised with a prescription suited for the IOL eye and other eye (no surgery yet) as is. IOL eye is better, but other eye images are smaller because if the strong prescription. Cannot coordinate. Better to go without glasses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.