Beware of Triclosan

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just read an article on the chemical Triclosan, which is an ingredient in the Colgate Toothpaste 'Total' range. Triclosan apparently disrupts the endocrine system and throws off hormonal function, something that none of us on this forum need. I've been using this toothpaste off and on for years, so it is about to get the big heave ho from my bathroom cabinet. I did check out the ingredients of Colgates other ranges and they don't have Triclosan as an ingredient.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

. Another chemical in stuff we trust. I'm changing to a natural tooth paste. 

Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

I'd read about this as well Glennis.  It's also in several antibacterial handsoaps so that's something else I'm now checking before I buy.  Apparently it has been banned by the food standards agency in the USA!
    • Posted

Thanks for the info Karen, I will be checking the antibacterial hand soaps as well. I will also check antibacterial sprays, they could be in there too. If it's banned in the US, I wonder how long it will be before the UK bans it?.
    • Posted

Who knows how long it will take?  It obviously takes several years for the effect of these things to become evident but its quite scary when you think of the number of chemicals we come into contact with on a regular basis.  I'm always really careful with skincare because I have sensitive skin which was even worse when I was first diagnosed with Graves, but you assume things like toothpaste will be safe!
    • Posted

Products Containing Triclosan.  Due to public pressure, many major manufacturers have quietly begun reformulating their products without triclosan.. confused

• Posted

I think avoiding it is an overkill.

Triclosan is not currently known to be hazardous to humans.

Animal studies have shown that triclosan alters hormone regulation. However, data showing effects in animals don’t always predict effects in humans.

• Posted

It seems strange then that it has been banned in the USA.  I wouldn't normally advocate a knee-jerk reaction to this kind of thing but when you're suffering with an auto-immune condition such as Graves, it's natural to try and avoid anything that may carry a risk, however small that risk is deemed to be.
    • Posted

There is an article on a website called Health Freedom Alliance. It's an American site which gives a lot of detailed information on this chemical. Apparently the EU banned its use in materials that come into contact with food in 2010.. Reading this article it would seem that Colgate were less than transparent with the information they originally submitted to the FDA. I believe there are specific uses for this chemical ie as an anti bacterial in hospitals and probably as a cure for gum disease, but I would think they should be case specific. That's it from me, I could climb on my orange box and rant for ages.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it went to a sign in page. If you Google Triclosan news there are lots of articles about it.

• Posted

Hi glennis.. TRANSPARENT that's a great way to put it...I like that description... More companies than we all think are less than transparent with the facts when the FDA approval standards are required. From RX drugs to OTC Drugs to medical equipment. 

Many sites offer consumer alerts on products. 

its all $$$$ stock options and the world wide market.confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.