BHP/kidney stone scare

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have several issues/questions going here. I have had BHP for at least 10 years, PSA slowly rising to 8 last summer. I have an appointment this month. I have had two biopsies years apart, PS3 exam, and a prostate MRI last summer. All have been negative. The PS3 was suggested by a doctor at Washington University urology department St. Louis, because I fit the category of slowly rising PSA but negative biopsies. The result was .3. I will have to be honest, I am leary of the exams and fear of rising PSA, and especially the words, "we will have to do another biopsy." Tonight I had another scare, blood in the urine. The last time I had this was after the last biopsy two summers ago. The diagnosis was a small kidney stone, something I have never experienced before. My concern is that with BHP, mighty it be more difficult to pass a stone since the BHP blocks the flow of urine. I know that I have not been drinking enough water, this may be the cause for the formation of the stone. Has anyone else had BHP and kidney stone (s)? If you did, did the BHP make it more difficult to pass (also based on size of stone) I am just curious. As well, I was curious of the opinions one PSA. There are disagreements, but doctors still look at it as an indicator. One year it went down, so the doctor said come back next year. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What’s bhp and psa ?
    • Posted

sorry my reply to gary was intended for carl

bhp is benign enlargement of the prostate and psa is prostate specific antigen

• Posted

bhp is benign enlargement of the prostate and psa is prostate specific antigen
  • Posted

I've never had kidney stones and I pray I never do. I certainly understand your concern though. My introduction to BPH and prostate issues was severe bleeding with very large blood clots. One thing I feared was one of the clots blocking urine flow. I didn't thank God. Hopefully someone will chime in with experience and advice regarding kidney stone. I.wish you the best.

• Posted

Hi Gary,I also suffer from BPH and have done for around five years,initially went through all the necessary investigations,urine specimen,bloods,etc.

On return of my blood tests it showed I had a psa of 4.9 which for my age at the time was considered quite high and out of the normal range!

Long story short my GP referred me to Urology following a rectal examination which confirmed my prostate to be enlarged,none the less stated he could not feel anything untoward.

Once I had seen the Urologist he agreed with the GP stating my prostate was enlarged however he too could not feel any such abnormality apart from it being enlarged,six months down the line had a further psa blood test which at this stage had gone down to 4.3,it was suggested I undergo MRI scan and following subsequent biopsy!

The biopsy results showed to be negative also the MRI confirming enlargement,I previously had suffered urinary tract infections which at times can show to have blood in the urine,which was the case with me I was treated with the relevant Abx which seemed to do the trick.

I personally have not suffered kidney stones however I believe on occasion can be quite painful to pass,I feel you are doing the right thing increasing your fluid intake which will hopefully help a better stream.

Like you explain the Gp's see the psa has a good indicator in terms of maybe identifying possible prostate cancer,presently I am having my psa done every six months,the urologist stated so long has it remains under 7 there was no reason to worry,my last psa was in April this year which was 3.9 coming down a little,I find for me which seems to help I have been taking saw palmetto which seems to help in terms of immediate rushing to the toilet,also has cut down on the visits I would usually go!

just to add the blood in the urine could be related to an infection,also which could possibly be related to a kidney infection,anyway hope you get sorted I try not to worry now about my psa going up and down,just so long has it remains under 7.

Good luck catch you soon!

• Posted

Had the biopsy and 2 MRI scans, all clear. My consultant says my BPH is causing the PSA to steadily increase over the last 10 years. He doesn't want to see me unless my PSA levels exceed 9, so don't panic if your levels are going up. It doesn't automatically mean you have prostate cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.