Bi-Lateral Carpel Tunnel Recovery Assistence.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am scheduled for carpel tunnel surgery and need to decide weather or not to do both hands or just one for now. I'm not concerned about the surgery itself but I do have some recovery concerns if I choose to have bi-lateral done. Specifically,  and I will cut to the chase, will I be able to perform "basic bathroom duties?" I would prefer to not request my mate to perform this duty if I would be unable to by having bi-lateral surgery. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chef,

I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my left hand. I’m right hand dominant. Everyone is different & heals at differing rates, but I couldn’t even imagine having both surgeries at the same time! I had a rough time with just my left hand being “out of order” can’t even comprehend both hands being unusable! You say you want to be able to perform bathroom duties so my suggestion to you is do the surgeries separately. Also bathing or showering, brushing teeth, getting dressed & combing hair is very hard with just 1 hand! Another thing to think about my left hand surgery was deemed “a failed surgery” so I have not had my right hand done yet & I’m so glad I waited. Sorry to be so blunt but I was given the same option to have both done at the same time & I figured that would have been a disaster.  Good luck to you & let us know what you decide.

• Posted

I had carpal tunnel release surgery 5 weeks ago. Healing and recovery going very well. Had virtually no pain. Never took a narcotic. Right hand and I am right handed. My right hand was basically out of commission for 2-3 weeks for anything that required any strength or bending of wrist. Bilateral 

Would be really really tough. I’m sure

People do manage some way or other though. 

Tom

• Posted

We don't offer both at the same time for several reasons, not just the inconvenience of managing for a few days with neither hand functioning normally. First of all, when you operate on one side the other one sometimes improves anyway and may not need surgery at all and secondly if you have a poor outcome on one hand you are about 6x more likely to also have a bad result on the other side too so you run the risk of having long term problems with both hands instead of just one - and there is no backing out once you have operated on them - this is not a reversible operation. Dr J Bland

• Posted

i had my surgery 2 months agi. still not good. gets electric shocks in my hand. these electric shick slightly better but lil bit cold even in cold water for few seconds give me electric sensation. i m due to have my right hand done as well but no no not yet. i will not recommend to have both hands same time

• Posted

My dr won’t do both at the same time. It’s hard enough to pull on shorts or sweats with one hand. You have both done at same time you won’t be able to open doors pull up your pants put on shoes or take care of personal hygiene 
  • Posted

One hand at a time I did both and both hands are bad after 5 years and it is hard on personal  hygene

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.