Bi-Lateral hip replacement

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi everyone I am due to have my operation on Thursday and I am going crazy with fear. I have been thinking of cancelling but know I can't as the pain is bad. This waiting is just awful. I am going in the day before to discuss which type of sedation etc. I really don't know how I will get through it.

Ann

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is scary Ann,but you can do this.I was in constant pain for over 2 years,really 3 before I could fix it.You have the opportunity.The only way out is through.You can do this.Keep coming back here.We are listening Are.I care💖

• Posted

Hi Ann,  I am here to tell you I was just as afraid.  Once you get there they will give you something to relax you and it does work.  Everyone is afraid just let them know.  I had anterior approach on November 17 2016. I had a spinal with sedation. I was probably in surgery for an hour my husband says.  I had extremely severe bone on bone osteoarthritis in my left hip. I couldn't sleep well I couldn't do the things I I wanted to do especially with my granddaughter I was exhausted from being in pain. I walked everywhere with a cane.  Let me tell you getting my hip done is like a miracle at the two week visit he told me no cane no walker was needed just walk he said and it's been wonderful. It's a new life .  I know the fear you are feeling but it will all be worth it.  I have my 2 month visit today!  All the best with your surgery you will be so happy you did it. I'm 62 but I feel younger!  Keep me posted??

• Posted

Hi don't know your name but thank you so much for your post it was so so uplifting to read and gives me hope. The waiting to go and have it done is just awful. I will read your post when I feel anxious and it will help me so much.

Like you I walk with a crutch and my life is now restricted I am looking forward to being the old me again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to pust your msssage.

Good luck for the future

Ann x

• Posted

Hi Ann, my name is Mary  Please keep in touch if I can help in any way.  The fear was the worst part for me but like I said they will all help you with that.. Just get there  you'll be glad you did!  Just remember you have no choice if you want your life back thats what I had to keep saying to myself and life goes by too fast as it is!

• Posted

Thank you so much Mary, I am going in ion Wednesday *tge dat beforw) surgery I will discuss sedation etc then. I know they want me to have an epidural with sedation but I am scared I will wake up. I may go for a GA but I believe the recovery is longer I will be guided by the experts. I just wish it was all over.

Again thank you so much for your lovely words. Ann

• Posted

Hi Ann, I went for my 8 week checkup yesterday and he said everything is fantastic.  The exrays looked great he said I'm set for life no limitations.  You will be so happy you had it done its a new lease on life.  I know you are scared I was petrified but knew I had no choice.  We are all here for you you can do it.  Like I said they will relax you when you get there and before long you are waking up in recovery.  Keep In touch!!

• Posted

Hi Mary again thank you for taking the time to post me another lovely message.

You must feel elated and so happy to be told that by your surgeon congratulations to you.

I have kept myself busy all day cleaning, packing etc tomorrow afternoon hospital and I am hoping early Thursday surgery. I will definately be in touch.

Ann

• Posted

hi ann, 

just letting you know that we are thinking of you ... 

once in the hospital, you can just surrender, darling ,,, take deep breaths and know that you are in good hands ...

looking forward to your first post-up post !!!

sending light, love and healing -

renee

• Posted

Hi Ann , the wait was unbearable for me too and most people say the same on here, but once there i felt calm and more posative and now 6 days on I am so happy I didn't cancel . It's not like we will get better and the best time is now so you can start to enjoy life again , I asked myself how I'd feel if I put it off and I knew I would feel disappointed and only have to join the que again Go do this for yourself nobody regrets it , if anything most folk wish they'd not put it off so long , I know I did

Angie York

• Posted

Hi Angie,

Thank you again for your lovely post and encouraging words. I am keeping very busy but so wish it was all over.

I do keep thinking of the coming months when I will be active again.

Wishing you all the very best for a speedy recovery.

Ann x

• Posted

Hi I am 18 days post op and I have drove today I have an automatic car. Still is a bit achy at times I no I'd I do to much I am not good the best day I have learnt this over the past few weeks today I have also cleaned my kitchen u no men don't do it the same I'm walking with no crutchies around the house I'm finding I'm limping but I think it's a habit I need to get out of I'm scared of putting my weight in it because the pain in still in my head,this was my second thr both being very different hope this helps

• Posted

Im 14 days out today,this is my 2 nd hip and am so grateful that it's done and over with.My daughter was commenting this evening on how much faster I was walking.Im beginning to resllysee and feel the difference.You will be happy you did this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.