Bi Polar

Posted , 5 users are following.

For 20 years I/ve been diagnois with Chronic Depression.   The past 3 years my medicine wasn't working and tried others.  It was getting worse my behavior was out of control.  Finally I got a Psychotrist and a Psychologist and was recently diagnois being Bi Polar.  I'm taking Depakote.  I am experiencing all the uncommon side effects.  Memory loss, suicide thoughts, confussion, vision blur, etc....I wanted my Dr. to let me try another drug.  There are so many.  Instead I was taken advantage of from my confussion I agreed to stay with the drug and the dosage was increased.    Isn't that messed up?   The side effects are very bad, I know my body.  Is this normal for a Dr. to increase a medication that I am experiencing bad side effects??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That doesn't seem to make sense. The next time you go to see the doc, I would take another person with you to help fight your battles. Or, another thought, get a new psychiatrist. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • Posted

I feel this is far too common a practice when it comes to finding the "right" meds for you and your bipolar disorder.

Sadly, I've been dealing with this for far too long and last year I said; "No more!"

I fired my shrink- the one that convinced me that I was up in the top 15% for severity of bipolar disorder. And changed my meds with the help of my GP. I'm a new individual and I feel so much better! I don't have a shrink who tells me how bad I am. Instead, I surrounded myself with people who tell me how much I should be loved.

I'm not saying that the pro's don't know what they are doing. I'm saying that you are your own best judge of how you feel. If something doesn't feel right, it's because it isn't. Those are my thoughts on this topic.

I wish you the best.

• Posted

Hi I have chronic depression also for many years was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 3yrs ago. I feel have the right mix at the moments ..but has taken a while. I have lithium (pridal ) & venlefaxine

The lithium levels my moods never any highs. Stops u acting on any sucidals thoughts also calmed down my shopping & impulsive behaviour. I find with the venlafaxine that I'm not getting emotional like I used to which is great for me because that's when the suicidal thoughts would come. I hope this helps you.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.   I do have impulsive behaviour that is ruining friendships, family, and my relationship.  I get angry really fast and I just run with it.  I had a hard time finding a shrink.   I applied for disability 2 years ago.  It was important to have a shrink not just for the hearing but for me.   I didn't like the shrink the very first appointment.  In the process of finding another one.   However what about the increase on the med i'm taking when i am having so many side effects
  • Posted

Hi Christine

I know how you feel. Don't be bullied....if you feel the side affects are so bad that you cannot handle it demand that your dr put you on something else that will work. It is trial and error but as you say, you know your body. I was on meds that made my eyes blur so much i could not see, meds that make you grind your theeth non stop, meds that make you urinate every hour, meds that gives you constant ear ache, or meds that make you yawn uncontrollably and many more ( i can write a book). What I decided that if the meds still makes me feel like that after a month, I stoppped it. Somethings you can live with others not.

• Posted

Thank you Lily.   I didn't increase the medication,  however I am still on it.  I am looking for another Shrink.   Unfortunetly I need this Dr. for now for other reasons.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.