Bi Polar Turp

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm returning here 6 months after surgery basically to repay the debt that I owe to a guy who told me to go ahead and have the TURP procedure. I'd struggled to pee for years and went into retention after a cystoscopy and I developed sepsis. Was in hospital on Gentamicin for just shy of a week. It was touch and go at first, but I was fortunate enough to pull through. I then had a long wait for a TURP op on the NHS (3 months). This was not a happy time as I was carting around a Foley catheter during this period. But things turned around completely when I had my operation.

I'm delighted - more than delighted - to tell you guys that the operation was a complete success. It was done on the NHS in England at Burnley Hospital and Mr Hosny was my surgeon. I can pee better now than at anytime in my life! Sex is great (just the same as it always was) and so far there are no issues apart from the first couple of weeks when I needed a Foley catheter for a few days and then when this was removed I was passing a little blood and micturating wasn't as easy as it became afterwards. I've held back from reporting this due to possible problems months down the line, which I've heard about before. But for me - so far so good.

If my operation was typical then all I can say is go and get the Bi Polar TURP. Well that is if your surgeon and his all important team happens to be the one that I was fortunate enough to get.

So far as me and my wife are concerned they did an excellent job.

Regards. Stay safe, follow the social distancing requirements and the hand washing advice. Peter.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Excellent result and good for you to take the time to tell us of the success. Very often we don't hear about them. Be interesting to hear again in 6 months. Were they able to prevent RE?

• Posted

I don't think they had any intention of trying to prevent RE. I asked the surgeon about preserving the bladder neck and he said a firm no to this. I do get 'ejaculate' - not as much but some - but it trickles out rather than shoots. But otherwise things are great.

If I forget to post here in 6 months time and you are interested or anyone else for that matter then by all means remind me by giving me a buzz here again. It is now just over 7 months since the procedure - and so far so good! I have sexual release most days (evenings) and the pleasure is not diminished from what it was years ago. Fingers crossed it will stay like this. Best wishes - stay safe. Peter.

• Edited

I am 13 months post-TURP and it was the best thing I ever did for my BPH (as I reported about 6 weeks ago.) I think mine was a textbook case of an excellent outcome. Left the hospital after an overnight stay without a catheter and resumed all normal activity in 3 weeks.

• Posted

Superb! Yes I think it is important to get the good news out here. Best wishes Lee. Stay safe!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.