Bi-Polar TURP at Stanford - second Post

Posted , 12 users are following.

...first Post is stuck in Moderator He!! due to an included link. I will delete the link and try again here.

Okay here's the first update on my Bi-Polar TURP. Highly recommend Stanford University Medical Center Staff. They are very courteous, knowledgeable, well trained, and caring (to the point of pampering). *Proviso - I haven't gotten the Bill yet. 😉

Scheduled for 10 am, went in to surgery about an hour and a half late. My procedure was set for 1 hour duration, but actually only took about 35 minutes. Uro later explained that not only did my procedure go very smoothly, he save 10-15 minutes because I had requested the Bladder Neck Sparring technique which means less time actually cutting away material. I spent the night (about 18 hours) with the Foley in with a constant irrigation of saline flushing my bladder. Didn't sleep until about 0300 and was awakened with "Morning Wood" about 0430 with a Pain rating of about 8-9 on the Pain Scale. Luckily that subsided rater quickly as I laid there tryin not to scream out in pain and wake up anyone within 2 blocks of the facility.

They forced me to suffer with a 22 french Foley 3-way Catheter, saying that is the only size they use. If I had known that, I would have brought along a case of these 14 french, 3-way Foley Catheters. *Link had to be deleted to get this post past the Moderator.

The damage and pain from the 22 french Foley was far worse than any of the other parts of my procedure. It has also left me with "Razor Blade" peeing, a Super "Fun" experience for those who have never had to pee through a ripped, chapped and injured Urethra.

At any rate... I am now 3 days out, and seeing far less blood, lessening pain on urination, and was only forced to CIC "Self Cath" twice since the removal of the Foley catheter. Both times I managed to hold off until bed time.

Will update at 30 days, 3 months, and one year.... if I remember. If not, just presume that I am doing well and went on with my Life. As always, I wish the very Best to anyone suffering from this (or other) dastardly afflictions.

Good Luck Brothers,

Chuck

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

my doctor used a french 26 cath 3 way on me, had it in for several weeks afterwards too, along with a Superpubic.

• Posted

Kenneth,

I swear that damned 22 Foley i suffered through ripped me up. I don't know how you could stand that 26 french Foley. Like Tom said, if it wasn't for the Foley catheter, the operation is not bad at all.

Chuck

• Posted

I guess I'm surprised about having an option to select a bladder neck sparing procedure. Isn't that what a man would always want? Wouldn't every guy want to minimize the chance of incontinence?

Since this seems obvious, there must be other issues at play. I think another poster alluded to an enlarged median lobe. Perhaps if a man has an enlarged median lobe, it is much more difficult to do a bladder neck sparing procedure. Any other issues that posters are aware of that would prevent a bladder neck sparing procedure.

• Posted

I'm fairly close to Stanford. If I might ask, did you consider the HoLep process before going with the TURP? I'm looking at both but after what you went thru........ I have not spoken with the Stanford folks yet and they may not offer TURP. Thanks.

• Posted

older-Dude,

Yes I considered both Holep and Aquablation. I decided against them for 2 basic reasons...

First, I didn't find any Uro's in my travel distance that had what I figured was "enough experience" with those procedures that I was willing to chance them expanding their learning curve further on me. Second, my insurance didn't cover them, or at least not without a substantial co-pay from me.

I will give my 30 day update in about a week, but I am doing better each day. No more Razor Blade peeing since after the first 5-6 days. Mild burning, which is lessening, and flow/volume expelled are continuing to increase. Even at this point....

Yes, I would do TURP with Bladder neck sparring technique again.

Chuck

• Posted

Okay as promised, here's my one month update...

Still peeing with better flow & volume, still have a burning sensation, but it's lessening. In the last week or so, I have had much bigger chunks of stuff (looks like small pieces of steak) plopping out periodically. Biggest was about 1/4 inch thick and 1/2 inch long. But thank God I haven't had any blockages, nor need to CIC / Self-cath any more. Scheduled for a post-op follow-up on the 19th. Doubt they'll say anything new, but will post if they do.

Otherwise... will post again at 3 months and one year, if I remember. Otherwise, I'm still happy that I took control of this affliction which was ruining my quality of Life.

Best wishes for you All !

Later Brothers,

Chuck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.