Bi-weekly (or so) Diarrhea plus excessive gas

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all! I'm new to this forum but I'm already encouraged to see how much everyone on here tries to help and support each other. I hope some one has some advice or answers for me regarding my problem. 

This has been going on (off and on) for about 5 months. I seem to have sudden diarrhea once every two weeks or so. No warning, no signs of it about to happen until about 30 seconds before I have to go. Sometimes I go one time and it's over and I'm back to normal right away. Other times, I go two or three times within a few hours. I'm always feeling normal with normal bowel movements by the next day. On top of that, I seem to have a lot more gas every day now, sometimes it's worse than others. 

I've thought of potential triggers, like maybe I've developed a food allergy all of the sudden. My medical background is no food allergies, no major issues in general, and I've always had a pretty ok stomach and digestive system with no reoccurring problems until now. I'm a 33 year old female.

I have seen my GP and she reccommended I try a probiotic, which I started a little over two weeks ago. On day 3 of the probiotic I had an entire afternoon of diarrhea, but that seemed to be the probiotic clearing me out. Since then, I've been doing fine until today, I had unexpected diarrhea one time. Then a few hours later, I had a normal bowel movement. 

I can't quite understand how all of this adds up. My doctor didn't seem overly concerned. I've tried to keep track of foods I eat, especially when I end up with the diarrhea but there is no pattern. I eat mostly the same type of food every day - diary, meat (usually, about 3x a week or so), wheat, fruits, veggies, etc. A more recent thought I had was possibly this could be linked to fried foods, which I don't eat very often. But again, there is no set pattern.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, advice? Thanks! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your doing all the right things, however you are going to have to persist with your doctor so he can send you for the relevant tests, it took me years to find out I have IBS and diverticulitis and a lot of it is down to what you eat and drink, and you will find out how to try and control it. Honestly it's like a mind field and its down to diet and lifestyle, it's so unfair Xxx good luck
  • Posted

it's good you are taking account of this now, I had minor gas issue through out my 30,s but ignored them,continued my life (drinking and over eating) now in my these minor problems is now a major issue, and the unknown is scary

For gas ..two theories ..low acid or high acid ..at your age it's probably high..which means the food

Your eating overall has to much acid

Just my guess

• Posted

Meant to write now in my 40s
    • Posted

I tend to watch my diet, I don't drink, I'm learning to live and manage it so that's my only way of trying to cop
  • Posted

Hi kelly98917

I think it would be a good idea if you kept a food diary of what you eat and drink each day. If it is certain foods causing your diahorrea a pattern will form. Just write day, date, time and food eaten and note what you drink. I did this and it transpired it was bread (wheat) causing my adverse symptoms so now gluten free. Have a go you have got nothing to lose but my gain a result......best wishes for a speedy diagnosis......keep in touch....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.