Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) for GERD/indigestion

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone tried a teaspoon of baking soda for their acid reflux?  Currently I take a daily morning lanzoprazole and two slippery elm, (herbal remedy) at night and its been working well but Saturday I went to see a film "I Daniel Blake", excellent stuff, do go along and see it everyone, but right through the show I had dreadful indigestion, quite painful, that's despite an extra dose, earlier, or my slippery elm when it came on me, as I don't like taking extra lanzoprazole, its not medically advised, so I am wondering if this needs another angle and had anyone tried it with any success.  The taste may put me off as I am dreadfully sensitive, cod liver oil, which some can stomach, makes me violently sick at the merest thought basically, that's how bad I am with tastes, various other things too which are less impalitable, affect me, however I am willing to try anything to take this dreadfully distressing complaint away and already doing as much as I can so far, I feel.

Incidentally, my history is this, I had four years ago, almost 100% unsuccessful surgery for my prolapsed bowel and also I hear so many accounts from people on the patients forum who have had hernia surgery and it has been a let down or there have been complications and they feel actually worse afterwards so with my history and knowing what I know I am not prepared to risk it, I know what its like to have ones hopes of a cure built up and up and then come crashing down afterwards and also have medical staff think the job they have done, or the operation itself, "hallowed" and refuse to accept you are still, as the patient, very ill, its soul destroying and they are not getting away with it a second time with me I can tell you.

But anyway, having said that, any thoughts, or other "cures" that anyone has tried, your input would be most welcomed.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

ive been trying baking soda for my acid, idk u feel like it makes it worse i jus burp more.... the goal of baking soda is it nuetralizes acid, but if ur on PPIs u already hav no acid so im not sure it wil do anything. if ur havin issues on ppis its prob silent reflex whcih is pretty much food contents/ bile etc i think... ther are other things besides jus acid which is what ppis treat
    • Posted

Hi Jared, thats interesting, and unfortunate in a sense, I do already take a ppi but can't overdo the dose as it wouldn't work anyway and my hernia is so bad it needs extra help really, thanks for sharing your experience, I'll give it a go anyway and report back.

• Posted

Have you tried taking gaviscon after meals and also add a Zantac when heart burns really bad
    • Posted

Hi, gaviscon sounds like a fair one but ranitidine have never worked for me unless I take about six at a time which wouldn't really be advisable x

• Posted

Hi Fiona.

My problem were going on since I was a child, one day as a teenager I discovered baking soda (being Irish there was always loads in the cupboard for making Irish soda bread) I took some in a glass of water and it seemed to help, then I used to make up a bottle of it to take to bed and work every where it was great but I was drinking a lot of it, then after years of drinking my reflux and acid got worse and I was having pain, I went through all the " - azole" ppi meds for about 15 years finally this year in June I had surgery to fix reflux and hiatus hernia. I'm still recovering but doing well ( I think) ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.