Bicarbonate of soda raising my BP.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took some bicarbonate of soda just before my dinner and my BP has shot up to 167/117. It’s normally around 145/95, I’ve also got terrible headaches since taking it. Has anyone else experienced this, I took it to relieve my hearburn, but it’s making it more severe. 😬

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Gillian, if the headache doesn’t ease, you should get some medical advice - ring 111 or the out-of-hours doc if in the UK.  The headache is probably due to the high BP.  Meanwhile, perhaps drinking plenty of water might help to flush the bicarbonate out of your system and bring your blood pressure down.  
    • Posted

Hi

The headaches were intense, so I ended up going to my bed, hit the pillow and was out for the count. Woke up at 7am. A bit thirsty in the morning, but other than that felt ok today. 

• Posted

Had you taken previously ?

• Posted

No, never. I knew as it was called sodium bicarbonate, it was a type of salt, but didn’t realise it would have that effect. 
  • Posted

Gillian68...Truly, I hardly think bicarbonate of soda should raise your bp. At the time, you were experiencing heartburn. Oh how  I know what that's like. Whenever something 'isn't right' in our bodies, our bodies react...& elevating bp is one of them. BP fluctuates from minute to minute. Did you take a bp reading a few minutes later?

You didn't state your age. Here in Canada, it's ok for persons, especially those 60+ to have bp readings of 140/90.

If you are 60+, a reading of 145/95 isn't anything to worry about. Another reader asked if you'd taken the bicarbonate of soda previously, & if so, what was the reaction? There are other things you can take to relieve heartburn, such as an antacid...a liquid or chewable tablet., & they work instantly. I find that cold water will relieve the heartburn as well. Yes, cold water!!! If you suffer heartburn regularly, you should see your doctor about it.

You also stated you had a terrible headache after 'taking it'. You must be referring to the bp reading. It COULD be a psychological reaction to the reading. If you continue to worry over a high reading, it just drives the numbers UP because one become tense. 

• Posted

Hi Mike

I’m 49 and my normal BP reading is always roughly around 145/90 or 95. In Scotland the doctors would have you believe this is high, but it’s not. I’ve tried every med available for hearburn/indegestion/acid reflux and none are working., even water. I thought I would try bicarbonate of Soda as I’ve heard this works well. Within minutes of taking my head was pounding, I thought I better take a BP reading and it was 167/117, I’ve never had a reading like that, I was also getting pains in my hands and feet, I do suffer a bit from water retention in my left ankle.  I can assure you it’s not psychological, my guess is that if you have  an issue with BP and/or fluid retention, it would be wise to give it a miss. 

• Posted

Gillian 68...Yes, there are some doctors out there who either don't give a damn about how we truly feel, or they are so quick to give us medication. I'm lucky..I have a GREAT GP & can talk very easily with him.

I'm having a rough go with heartburn/indigestion/acid reflux. The Tecta was a joke...but I"m scheduled for Gastroscopy this coming Thursday. It is not psychological with me either. I have a very close friend who also says she knows it's "not just in my mind". She has seen me when I'm not feeling well, & can tell by my colour..I'm drawn, pale. Even if I say I'm ok, she'll respond with..."no you're not". 

I also have a neurological problem, but the Neurologist doesn't seem to know just what the problem is.I get burning in my toes, & the underside of my feet. I get the odd pins/needles in my legs. I had MRI of the lumbar spine, cervical spine & brain last August. There is some disc problems, & narrowing where the nerves come out..Other than that., he can't figure it. I have terribly sore shoulders, & the muscles at the back of my head will spasm. I get a little light-headed at times too. All this because of a few nerves in my neck??? Something just isn't right. My friend says that if they don't find something on Thursday when the Gastroscopy is done, I'd do well to get to my GP & ask to be sent to a doctor who can investigate as to what's going on with me...say an Internist or whatever. Something's got to be done. It's bringing me down mentally too. Enough about me. I hope you're feeling better soon.

• Posted

Hi, Gillian68,

With bicarbonate of soda being basically baking soda, the amount of sodium you may have had could have been around 1259 mg if you had a teaspoon of it. Even if you didn't have that much, if you add that to whatever sodium was in your dinner, it sounds like your body had a reaction to it. It probably tightened up your blood vessels, and with so much sodium at one time, it caused your headache. 

I saw an an article about a study of bicarbonate of soda in the New York Times. If you look it up, the title was "Doubts Raised About a Heart Attack Treatment." It's an interesting article where it addresses what could have caused your heartburn becoming more severe.

Hope you're feeling better!

• Posted

I managed to see the the article. Thanks. 👍

• Posted

There will be a big difference from a teaspoonful in a glass of water and it being injected directly into the blood stream.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.