Bicep Hook Test Confusion

Posted , 1 user is following.

I weight lifted for the first time in a couple of years and worked on biceps back and traps. When I was working out my back (doing bent-over rows) I noticed that I felt it a lot more than I should have in the bicep area but I chalked it up to me not training in awhile. However the next day, my distal bicep area was very sore when I tried extending my arm outward palm up. I looked online and saw that tendinitis could be possible but also saw that a rupture or tear may have occurred. I eventually came across a symptom called "popeye arm" and found that the hook test was a good way to diagnose it yourself. I watched a couple of videos and looked at various images of this with one video showing that a possible false positive of this test is that you may hook on to your "brachialis tendon" instead. Out of all the images I have looked at of the bicep, I have never seen both tendons in the same picture and was wondering if there was an easy way to distinguish between a distal bicep tendon and a brachialis tendon. I have tried the test multiple times on both sides and have felt something to hook onto in about the middle of the elbow but I am just not sure if it is actually the right tendon. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.