bicep pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 4 weeks post rotator cuff and bicep repair, arthroscopically.  I was doing pretty well and using my hand to do things and moving shoulder nicely.  A few days ago I started having extreme pain in my bicep  when I tried to move my arm up and forward.  Sometimes it just shoots pain until I get it moved back down to my side.  Is this normal?  I was thinking maybe they forgot to do the bicep repair when they did the rotator cuff.  Any opinions out there?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Maddy

Have you not been advised to wear a sling/immobiliser and limit movement of your arm? I was not allowed to do the movements you describe for several weeks after I had my sling removed.

I think you should ice it and give it some tlc lots of rest, then see where you are.

good luck

• Posted

Thx for your reply.  I took it out of the sling on the last week during the day at home.  And I'm talking very small movement....a couple of inches to the side.  It was fine during that last week....until it wasnt.  I don't start PT until next week. In reading a lot of the posts it looks like bicep pain isn't that unusual.  

• Posted

That happened to to me but it was at 6 weeks, the day I took the sling off. There is a thread that I posted about it. I had searig  and shooting pain and cramping pain in my biceps which made me go back into the sling in extreme protective mode. It took 5 days to ease up. The first 3 days were the worse. I was convinced I had done something awful. Nothing awful was done. The Dr and PT said everything was fine. It probably was some scar tissue on the nerve that got pulled on or broken that caused the pain. I am now almost 15 weeks and things had gotten better overall. The biceps remains the problem child a far as sorenes, but the severe cramping and searing shooting pain has stopped. I just babied it and used cold for the days it was really bothering me and moved very carefully. It definitely sounds like they did the repair and from what I hear the bicep just takes a little longer to heal than the rotator. Hang in there. 

• Posted

I read all your posts and sounds like I am not alone in the bicep stabbing pain. I am putting it back in the sling to protect. Thx everyone,for all your posts. I learned a lot

• Posted

I'm concerned that you should not be moving it - at all - at 3 to 4 weeks post a rotator cuff surgery.  I would call the surgeon's office and verify what you are permitted to do at which stage.

Mine was absolutley no motion for 6 weeks.  Then in the next 6 weeks, only passive motion (i.e., being moved around by the therapist).  

Maybe mine was "old school" or something, but it wasn't all that long ago (7 years), so again I'd say please verify what you're permitted to do (and not do) at this stage.

Good luck and best healing to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.