Biceps and anterior shoulder pain after labrum surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

I'm from Brazil, so forgive me if I say something wrong.

I had a anterior inferior labrum repair (GLAD lesion, similar to Bankart) and the doctor placed 3 suture anchors on the labrum.

I'm at 12 week mark, but I still have some severe anterior pain when I do the dips movement (arm behind and away from the body) that goes down the biceps, also biceps soreness everytime I contract or even extend the arm completed.

External rotation is coming... 15-20 degrees I guess.

Does anyone here with a anterior repair had this type of pain?

Already took NSAID and cortisone shot, but no relieve at all.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had Bankart and a SLAP. I have some bicep tendonitis at almost 6 weeks. I did have a fall in the second week.  I managed to fall to my knees and catch myself on my other arm but I did feel some pain in my bicep. I was wearing my sling which hopefully protected my shoulder but the pain came when my arm jerked against the sling.

Last week a had a steroid shot in my short bicep tendon and it seems to have helped to reduce the inflammation a lot but it took a whole week to really feel a difference. My ROM is getting better but I still have occasional sharp pain in my long bicep tendon.

I think that the current solution is to keep doing ice frequently, and to take the NSAID's which really help. Unfortunately they also aggravate my GERD so I'm going to try a gel instead and may have to go to pain management if it doesn't get better within the next week.  Also, my P/T has suggested doing ultrasound. 

My goal in the meantime is to keep doing physical therapy optimistically. At the very least, if I do need to go back for a repair, my shoulder will be stronger. 

Having said all of that, it is my understanding that moving your arm behind the body is the last and hardest part of recovery. 

• Posted

I found a couple of videos on youtube.  "How to Fix Your Bicep Tendonitis" by "Jamie Dreyer" and "Top treatment for bicep tendonitis" by "phyisicaltherapyvideo" on Youtube. I like just watching the videos without doing all of the exercises to that I understand what is happening to my shoulder. I wont do any strengthening exercises without checking with my physical therapist but I like the self massage tips in the top treatment video. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.