Bicornuate uterus.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I went in for a uterine ablation due to prolonged & painful periods. Unfortunately once I was under the aesthetic they discovered that I have a bicornuate uterus therefore they were unable to complete the procedure. I was immediately put on the list for a hysterectomy and an currently waiting on a date. My main concern is I was told they would keep my ovaries but there was no discussion about keeping my cervix. I've read that its better to keep the cervix for both sexual pleasure and basic structure. Anyone out there with advice for a postmenopausal woman who is feeling a little overwhelmed by it all xx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow, brilliant post & very helpful girls. There was a woman a few months ago aged under 30 & she was fed up with periods & elected hysterectomy just cause she believed it was a brilliant way out. I extensively tried to point out the more terrible time lots have had caused by Hysterectomy & that lots end up worse off, than better. I felt a bit shot down by trying to give the other side. Didn't hear from her again post-op me thinks? Cancer of course is entirely different & there is usually only the one option. Your honesty here has to be helpful & make girls nut it all out pre-op. Of course the path your body takes post-op is 100% unpredictable & a gamble. My Gynae in my mid 40's was anti hysterectomy just to solve period problems thank goodness. I am still grateful for his reluctance. So I retained all my bits. Anterior repair done last year, & possibly posterior still needed. They were only Grade 1. Prolapses due to baby over 9lb & menopause. Maybe would have prolapsed even without large 2nd baby at 30.

• Posted

I have a bicornuate uterus. I had an ablation done about 8 years ago by a doctor who did it even when he found out. I had no benefit from it. Actually caused a lot of damage. I am now getting ready to schedule a hysterectomy which bums me out. Having terrible pain during periods (sometimes 3 a month!) Pain during intercourse.....fibroids on top of scar tissue bums me out worse. I'm ready to end this 15 year run of bad female problems. If anyone has any advice for me I would love to hear it.

Thanks!!

• Posted

Hi, Shawn,

This is your decision to make.  Lots of factors go into it that only you are dealing with. I don't know how old you are, but if possible you might want to consider keeping your ovaries, if you can.

Find a surgeon who you can trust and be comfortable with, one who's willing to answer your questions and with some empathy.  

You may not encounter the difficulties and problems that other women on this site have experienced after a hysterectomy.  Every person is different.   

Also, be gentle with your body as you heal.  You will heal at your own pace, so don't get bummed out if you aren't keeping a particular time line.

Best of luck to you and let me know how you do! xx

• Posted

Lynda,

Thanks so much for your kind words. I am 44 and struggling with what to do. Your advice was spot on.

Thank you!!

• Posted

Shawn,

You're very welcome!  Please do keep in touch.  I know that this is a difficult time for you! xx

Lynda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.