Big bone fragment left in hip???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok I need advice. My mom is 74, she lives with my husband and I, day after Christmas she fell and broke her hip, had surgery, after surgery they set her up in a nursing home/rehab place in small town we live in for 20 days which turned into 60 days because they said she still needed physical therapy... I leave out of state to be with my father in law who is fighting bladder cancer.. We are in the woods no signal... 6 days later I try to call my mom and a nurse answers her cell and says my mom just had another hip surgery!! What??? Had infection so bad it was to the bone... I'm thinking not proper care from nursing home... get her records today from second surgery and it stated that she had a large bone fragment left In her hip identified prior to first surgery... that she only had 70 degrees motion when they went in 2nd time because of bone fragment... IS THIS COMMON? I'm so upset my mom has had to undergo surgery 2 times!! Was the infection caused by the bone? Was the infection just an infection and bone seperate? I am just beside myself to see my mom in so much pain!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh my goodness!! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom!! Are you in the States? Was someone with her when she went into surgery? No one contacted you? Are you the person in charge of her? Sorry for so many questions. It's just I remember when my mom was in a nursing home she broke her hip and no one seemed to have noticed or cared not sure which one probably both! But when I saw she was in pain every time they moved her I knew something was not right. Sure enough, broken hip. So a bone fragment was left inside of her? Again I'm sorry for all your mom has been through. A second surgery can be tough especially so soon. I'm not sure what causes a hip to get infected after surgery unless the nursing home did not properly clean her incision which maybe a possibility. Thing about nursing homes a family member has to be present as often as possible and follow up and check on your love one. As for the bone fragment....I'm not sure on that one. Possibly from first surgery or unless your mom fell while in nursing home and something chipped from her hip. Again I'm so sorry this had happened. I understand your frustrations. I'm thinking this is not common at all. You got a lot of questions that need answers!! I hope your mom gets better soon. Prayers going your way. Hugs, LD

• Posted

My mom was in rehab that happen to be a nursing home also,.. I would visit her often. And I never saw nurses often... I m so sad she has to go through this not once but twice.... I'm upset with first surgeon for leaving a 6cm bone In my moms hip and I'm upset with rehab for it to get infected to the bone!!!

• Posted

hi mmadsyyn, 

I can only imagine how upset and angry you must feel ... Is there someone you can talk to, or report to ...

Nurses usually have their rounds , sweetheart, and because of lack of personel there is no time to give extra attention ...I am pretty sure that they would love to if they could ...

Thinking of you both and sending you healing

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

hi madsynn, 

I agree with Linda - that is terrible and sounds like gross neglicence by surgical team --- how was that fragment overlooked ? 

I had an xray next day after surgery (in hospital) - did she get one?  

have you talked to your mother - how is she doing ?   

I am so so sorry for her and for you .. please don't blame yourself, okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I know it's been awhile since this post. I'm curious how things are going. My surgeon left a bone piece that shredded my psi as muscle. It's been almost two years and I'm still in pain and limping.

• Posted

I had total hip replacement on my right hip. The surgeon left a big piece of bone in. About one and a half inches each way. He said he did it on purpose. Since then I have fallen twice when the x-rays show that my hip broke again in different places. The hospital calls him because they say by law they have to. Both times he ordered them not to treat me, because in his words. My work is too good for anything to go wrong. Leave her alone, she only wants attention. Do now I'm in a power chair. My hip hurts much I cant sleep without sleeping pills. And if I move at all it wakes me up screaming from the pain.

• Posted

Sounds as if a few of you need to consult a Lawyer specializing in these cases. JMHO.  My surgeon took an XRay at the end of my hip replacement. I would be not real happy is that happened to me or a loved one 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.