Big change in PFT values

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an appt with my pulmonary doctor yesterday. I had been classified as mild but felt my breathing getting worse. They did the portable spirometry. Not only were the numbers good, but much improved from last time. He said it was from the Breo inhaler. Otherwise he suggested checking my heart, I have never heard of spirometry values going up to normal after using a bronchodilator. I am thrilled but confused and skeptical? I just don't get it. Of course it is great news.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Thatis wonderful news it happened with my mom too and she is stage 3 Best  to you Mary
    • Posted

Cindy,

Thank you, what a wonderful thing for your Mom. Are her values normal but at stage 3 she continues to suffer and deteriorate? Does it give her a lot more time to feel healthy? I am still confused.

• Posted

More time to feel healthy I say.
    • Posted

Cindy,

How does the doctor know your mother is in Stage 3 if her lung function is that good? My breathing seems worse despite the fact that my numbers are at mild. My chest burns and feels heavy all the time. Anyone else have those symptoms with mild or any stage? Thank you.

• Posted

Burning in the chest sounds more like heartburn/reflux than COPD, but I don't know about heaviness.    What does yr doctor say about it?
    • Posted

It could be. Doc wants me to check my heart. I do have reflux but it has been very well controlled. Maybe that is it though. I have not had a flare up in ages. Thank you.
  • Posted

Neither have I, Maryterese, but congratulations and I wish mine would do the same.  I'm guessing but if the previous lower lung function was because of malfunctioning bronchial tubes then the bronchodilator would be the reason for the improvement?

I have COPD from emphysema and have been able to maintain my lung function level, but I have no expectation of being able to actually improve it

• Posted

Jude, I do not know. My doctor is a super optimist and does not focus on negative. I never really understand the background or explanation because he is happy about it. He just thinks it is from the bronchodilator. But to go to normal values?? Still confused. Anyone have any logical explanations?

I am glad you do well with your function. I am very lucky indeed but I guess I wonder how long that will last. I don't get the big picture. I am going to ask my primary doc but they don't know as much about pft

Thank you !😊

• Posted

I've found practice nurses and pulmonary physio's at rehab have more time to explain things and often have a wider experience of these conditions.  

I suppose all you can do is be happy your lung function shows up as normal on spirometry and hope it lasts, but if you're sitll having trouble breathing that definitely needs to be investigated.

• Posted

Thank you Jude. I am seeing my primary doc tomorrow so maybe he can help. It still seems to me that even if I show normal lung function, I still have the disease, so sob not unusual? But they are going to check the heart, I think. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I am pleased. Will see what comes of it. 🌹thanks
    • Posted

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you get on.   I'm wondering if it's possible to have COPD in early stages without symptoms?  I'll bet it is, it doesn't appear overnight after all.

• Posted

hi 

Can an I ask how you were diagnosed in the first place? Just wondering if copd was seen on X-ray or scan. The reason I ask is that lady on another forum still had mild copd after years and years which I'm told, one can live a normal life span as long as you don't smoke and don't inhale hairspray etc and are generally mindful of your condition and tell people with colds etc to please be curiouscurious ...anyway....this lady it turns out had these breathing issues at times and it turned out to be mild asthma. She has a nebuliser and is now fine. 

• Posted

Mine showed up on xray. They read the xray and told the doctor this girl has emphysema.

• Posted

Mine was on X-ray too. But the doctor insisted on soirometry. The first test they thought I had asthma. Then the second time they said COPD. It was in the airways in that section of 25 75? I forget. Now this time the results are much better but it is still COPD. They were very happy with the results. I am still confused because I cannot believe the improvement. It still shows mild.

My primary today was not one bit helpful. He referred me to a cardiologist as the pulmonary requested to see if my breathing issues, while not bad, have gotten worse. Before this latest test. So the whole thing is a bit strange! I don't think I have heart issues but will see. They did ask me to try Spiriva for 2 was to see if it helped. I am on Breo. I do not want to add any drugs unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you for your support!

• Posted

I found Spiriva improved my breathing considerably when I was first diagnosed and I still use it every morning, plus more recently Symbicort night  & morning.

I reckon giving the Spiriva a go for a fortnight would be a good idea and whether or not this improves your breathing may help get you a clearer diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.