Big D is back (and I'm kind of glad…)

Posted , 3 users are following.

After a few weeks of blessed relief from being chained to the toilet by the Big D, the last few days for no discernable reason, the symptoms have returned.  Bloating, gas, and diarrhea again.  

Here's the strange part:  I'm almost glad it's back.  It's a little more controllable than it was, and I am once again losing some weight.  I lost about 40 lbs during the winter while I was so ill.  When the symptoms finally improved, my appetite, which had been nonexistant, came back with a vengeance.  I wanted to eat everything in sight, but I still was careful to avoid fatty and fried foods.  I gained back about 8 lbs which made me unhappy.  I kept wishing the lack of appetite would return--I've had eating disorder issues for much of my life, and the relief from the tyranny of food was the best part of being sick.

I'm a little worried about my emotional health, welcoming back the "D".  Maybe I got used to it and it became a bit of a crutch, something to focus on instead of managing my eating.  Anyone else have this issue and if so what happened?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh ndm am so sorry to hear this. Are you taking the caltrate? I've just started taking psyllium husk capsules and they are helping. I haven't diarrhea as such just loose yellowy stools once or twice a day. How many weeks post op are you now? I know a few people that had the diarrhea for 6 months and then it went away. We are all different and our body's are all reacting differently to the big change that has taken place. Are you taking any meds at all? X
    • Posted

I stopped the Caltrate as things had improved.  Thanks for reminding me to go back on it!  I've been taking fiber and a multi-vitamin but the probiotic was no help at all and was very expensive.  I'm actually more concerned about being glad to have the diarrhea back.  '-(

Glad to hear you have a non-barf streak going!  Hope it continues.  Thanks for your reply!

• Posted

Yes I would be concerned about that too but you have gone through so much and sometimes we become used to being unwell and the side effects like the weight loss. Are you seeing a therapist at all? It might help you get through these thoughts. Also what is in your multivitamin? If there's a lot of magnesium I would stop that too and just stick with the caltrate for now 1 tablet 3 times a day with food and see do you improve. I'm the opposite of you and would do anything to put on weight as am 94lbs and it's not nice at all. I look very ill and everyone keeps telling me that too which doesn't help at all!
    • Posted

You are always so supportive and thoughtful!!  I am seeing a therapist (she had the nerve to be away at a conference this week!  LOL) and will discuss this with her.  I'll check the magnesium in the vitamins.  I'd gladly give you some of my excess lbs---I have a dear friend who struggles to get up to 100 lbs.  She has been ill off and on the past few years, and having no padding makes this difficult.  She gets weak pretty easily, as I imagine you must too when struggling with the nauseau.  Perhaps you should ask your friends to express their concern for you with some positive comments.  It feels awful to be told you look ill.
  • Posted

The BIG D is something like Russian Roullette! you can go for days and be great  nothing then BANG! it's back with a vengeance. I am having a very bad flare up at present so perhaps next week I will have a few days free? lol I take Colesevelam it was one a day I now have to take two I hope your D stops soon xxxx
  • Posted

Hi ndm how are you doing? How is the diarrhea? How is your emotional health? I hope you are feeling better and on the road to recovery. Thinking of you. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.