Big question

Posted , 7 users are following.

This might seem like a silly question because I know lots of you have been on Co-codomol for years but  -  Can taking 2 tablets per day be dangerous or perhaps addictive?  In the instructions in the packet it says "do not take for more than 3/4 days".  

Co-cod just helps me with my arthritis pain, but I don't want to become addicted.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

3-4 day is wriiten so you cant take them to sue. Now depends how the 2 tablets effect you. so say day 1 you take 2 30/500mg now if the 30mg of codine makes you relax stress free and a light buz. then that first hit could make you addictive. I known people have that for 2 weeks and they was fine.

say you took them for 3 days and your pain is still there, it advise you to go back to doctors -  doctors will mix ibrouphine and codmols, or put you on trampdols .

• Posted

Of course it is not quite so easy to come up with an alternative to co-coda mol when you are on multiple other medications I am allergic to tramadol, cannot take ibuprofen because of stomach ulcers. Altogether I take 10 different tablets including steroids (5mg when I am on a good patch, up to 60mg when I am having a flare up plus steroid eye drops). Just wanted tongue an alternative viewpoint re Cocodamol.
    • Posted

with tramadol some people cant sleep with it. but the effect is better than co-cods, trammies effect last longer, but that just an addiction.
  • Posted

I think probably it would be safe 2 a day but don't go near 8 a day like me... Says ok to take 8 in 24hrs but I'm taking 8 in the daytime obviously none wen asleep plz take it easy. Kind regards Wayne
    • Posted

Hallo Wayne.  2 in one day is the only amount I allow myself - and not EVERY day!  I am nearly 76 and have myself, and my life, we'll under control.  My main illness is Polymyalgia, for which I have to take steroids.  One must be extremely careful of taking other tablets when on steroids.

As far as Cocodomol is concerned, just occasionally I feel I need a little help with the pain, but I was concerned about the info on the packet, hence the post on this forum.

Thank you for your concern.

Constance

• Posted

Don't be too worried one a day is not much at all... Pain killers like tramadol used to make me itch...... Hope all goes well for you 👍
  • Posted

8/500 mg and 15/500 mg work just as good as the 60/500 i was taking! I was on the highest amount possible towards the end but started on 30mg

But to conclude as i stated, you CAN very much be addicted with 2 a day. I never said you would but you could, as i did and millions do. As i said earlier, people can get addicted after just one table, it's all about individual makeup.

It is extremely unlikely you will develop aby problems taking then them the way that YOU do.

• Posted

i did know you could get 15/500mg and 60/500mg.  yes you right you can be addicted with 2 a day depending how your body reacts to the meds
    • Posted

I think it took me about a year and a half to get hooked. Before that I took them for a high but kept it low. However, i started taking them for pain first of course, then after a while I mentally wanted the high feeling (it was more of a craving like with smoking) then after a good long time I realised I was physically hooked too as my body ached as it wanted more abd more abd went into withdrawal. My grandad had boxes of 15/500 mg and would used to give me then when I had run out of my own, he was totally oblivious bless him haha. But i found the 15 and even 8s curved the physical cravings just as good and quick as the 60s, but it just didn't last as long.

I've been totally clean a while now and took 2 x 30/500 caplets last night, as i had pain in my gallbladder. My Dr and i were confident to let me keep my tabs on repeat. As I'm not stupid and know what's what now. Feel totally fine today and no withdrawal, which does also answer the question (if anyone is wondering), Yes you can take the tablets again in emergencies if you've weaned off. The average person won't get hooked again by just taking 2 to 8 in one day. But as stated it can happen.

Many former addicts bad mouth the tablets, i won't. They are brilliant. the addiction will ruin things for you but not the tablets themselves. I will always have a box in my house for EMERGENCIES only. I found ibuprofen are also fantastic just for moderate and minor aches.

• Posted

Interesting!  I have taken the odd cocodomol over the years, never more than 2 in one day, and until PMR struck, rarely, but I have never had a 'high' from them!  The strange thing about it is, for my illness I have to take steroids daily, and I have never had a high on those either (although I have read many do)!!   We are all soooooo different!
    • Posted

Like you I have never had highs from either co-codamol, or from steroids which I have been on continuously since 2008 and occasionally when I had flare ups of uveitis (eye condition) from 2006-2008. Yes, we are all different and must not assume that because we have a bad reaction to a drug everybody else will.
    • Posted

Hi Gill. ..I only get a high wen taking 4 minimum and because I've been on them for years the high only lasts no more than 15 mins. ...its a slight good feeling that's all but I'm nearly 50 and I get hot flushes every day and I find that 4 co cods will get my temperature down. ...
    • Posted

its best to keep away from them as possible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.