BIG STONE

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've recently been told I've a large stone, 38mm, as yet i'm not suffering too much pain ,except when I cycle for long periods. Is this an immediate danger.I ask because i'm a volunteer in Asia and am not due to return to the U.K. for another six months.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Stuart,

That you are not suffering from "too much pain" is, of course, good and helpful. But that's really a very large stone, and I personally think it'd be better to take care of it sooner rather than later. A stone that size is only going to cause increased discomfort over time.

Were I in your shoes I would stop the cycling, stat. I would also find the absolute best medical center possible where you currently are. If that's not possible, then I think it be best you consider returning home in advance of your original plans (with some kind of decent, strong pain med to have with you in your travels).

Good luck.

• Posted

Sounds like you may have what I had, a staghorn shaped kidney stone. It never hurt, and the only reason I even knew I had it was because I had blood in my urine ONE day. After being referred to an urologist, i had a scan done which revealed I had one large kidney stone and 6 smaller ones all in one kidney. I just had my second surgery and am kidney stone free! My dr said they had been there awhile and that the big one would have just gotten bigger. MY first surgery was to remove the biggest one, and I was in the hospital 4 days. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Stuart

I would come home and get it sorted to have it removed if I were you. I had a stone 16mm to start with only made me feel sick occasionally. They tried removing it. Unsuccessful. I asked how long could I leave it they said 5 years. I said well I'm having a total knee replacement operation so I'm leaving it for now. They said come back in a year for x-ray. I did in that year it had grown to 20mm. So I was referred to a surgeon. This was in Oct 2017. By the time they operated in April 2018 it had grown to 25mm. I had keyhole surgery to remove it. No complications the wound healed well. It was a calcium oxalate stone. So certain foods have to avoid or can only eat very little off. I wouldn't wait it could impair your kidney. Good luck hope you get it sorted soon.

• Posted

I agree with Martin here. Sort it our before it rears its ugly head.

Good luck with it all

Take care and keep in t ouch

Sarah

• Posted

I recently had two large stones in my left kidney removed. I did not know that they were there and had no pain until the 18mm stone moved out of my kidney and blocked my ureter. You do not want that to happen whilst overseas as a operation would be needed pretty quick and you would have no hope of travelling with the pain, not to mention the vomiting and fever you may get. Definately go home and get it seen to.

• Posted

i would be afraid to go much longer with a stone that size. i have had to be hospitalized two times bc a stone obstructed my kidney and i went septic both times, very fast! it was very scary! the first time waa in 2016 and a year later the same thing happened. right now i have two large stones, one in each kidney. im scheduled for pcnl surgery on the 13th. this will b the first time for that thpe of surgery. ive had multiple lithotripsies and cystoscopies for stones. im 45 and have dealt with stones for over 20 years. no fun!

• Posted

I agree. Good luck on your PCNL surgery. I had that done on Dec 13th. I also had a lithotripsy done a few weeks ago.

• Posted

Hi shannamagee,

was your PCNL done in two steps? Did you go to radiology first for them to put in the guide wires? Thats what my doc is planning to do. i have read comments by others that sometimes they do it all on one step.

• Posted

yes. I went in on a Wednesday for the first part as you described. I also had a catheter and a urine bag attached to my leg. I spent the night in the hospital and had the PCNL the next day.

• Posted

i had my pcnl surgery on wednesday and today is friday. ive been in awful pain ans can hardly raise up out of bed. nurses hav been giving me dilaudid. that helps for a while. thursday morning, when urology came by, they removed the bladder catheter. today they are coming back in to remove the drain tube from my kidney 😕 were u in a lot if pain like that with yours?

• Posted

I had my surgery on a Thursday. The only day I had a lot of pain was that day. I went home on the following Saturday with no pain meds other than Tylenol. Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Posted

I had mine done dec 2017. All in one operation no guide wires before hand.

Yes I had really bad stomach ache for a few days afterwards.

Catheter in for 2 or 3 days stent in for a week.

I was in hospital for a week.

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

well im back in pre op. the ct scan after my pcnl showed i have stone in the left ureter halfway down. I still have the big one on on that side also. good thing i was still in hospital so they can take care of all of this. normally i wud hav had to come back for this procedure. doc is going to remove the stone in the ureter and is going on up to see how much if the big stone he can get.

• Posted

I really hope they manage to get to this big stone for you.

My op was complicated because I have horseshoe kidneys (they are joined together) so I am not normal anatomically.

They did say to me before the op that they were going to be very near other organs and if they felt it was getting unsafe they would leave the stones in.

Fortunately the consultant did manage to get them all out.

Praying for you and your consultant.

Sarah xxx

• Posted

thanks sarah

i was able to come home last night (sunday). they did the second procedure saturday morning and got all of the stone in the ureter. he got all that he cud of the big stone in the kidney. there is still a piece he could not get to. i think they will set me up for shock wave in the near future.

thanks for prayers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.