Big toe fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been advised to have this operation as there is no longer space in the joints to insert pain relief injection. My problem is I've walked long distances for charity and want to continue to do so. If my big toe is rigid how will I manage to walk even short distances? I've tried getting in touch with the surgeon for an appointment to discuss my fears but after three weeks still have not had a reply

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I googled "large toe fusion walking" and got links to a couple of hospital info leaflets (Guys and St Thomas's and North Bristol Trust) as well as an article in the Daily Mail from a woman who has had it done - I wouldn't normally recommend the DM but it has its uses now and again! There are a load of testimonials as well - one assumes there may some genuine ones.

It sounds as if you may or may not be able to wear high heels again (the woman in the DM apparently does) but you should be able to walk fairly well and without pain once the op has healed. Have a look - I'd give you the links but they'll just disappear for ages.

There is another discussion on this site from a year or so ago but it doesn't really give any answers to your question - mostly "I'm having this done next week, I'll tell you how I get on". I can give you the link for that though

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hallux-rigidus-fusion--27063

By the way - I don't know whether you realise but you have posted in "Foot and toe problems" as a subforum of "Diabetes..." Their foot and toe problems are rather different from yours. 

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Foot and toe being under diabetes is not a user issue but ours. Each group can be in multiple categories with a "primary" category to appear in the breadcrumb. In this case I hadn't got round to sorting the Foot and toe problems group and have just done so. It will still appear in the Diabetes category for diabetic foot disease but the main category is now Bones, joints and muscles. It may take a while for this to reflect on the site due to caching of pages. 

You may see other odd category/group relationships as I am still working through checking all of these so it will improve.

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Jay

I have had this operation 16 weeks ago and am currently walking about 2.5km per day with my dog and another 1 or 2 at work.  So far so good.  I too love to do long walks and my surgeon assures me that I will be able to do all that I could previously.  He gave me a timeline of 7 months to full recovery and fitness.  I haven't really had any severe pain - you must look after yourself carefully in the first 6 or 8 weeks.  I was not confident of doing long hikes as my toe joint was so sore.  I am finding the new gait a bit odd to start with but I feel it is going to be fine in the long run.  I am seeing the surgeon next week and if the joint is completely fused he will make an appointment to take out the pins.  I hope this helps.  You need a surgeon who will listen to you - I tried 4 before I was convinced that this one was open minded and giving me a good reason to go ahead with the surgery.

• Posted

Thank you Fran for your reply. How has your gait altered? One main concern is that I love wearing sandals but someone told me her mums toe was so short it looked unsightly! How much shorter is yours? I don't want to look too odd!! 
    • Posted

Currently I am instructed to put full weight on the front of the foot but not to push off with it so I am sort of moving the foot forward stiffly.  However, people around me have commented that I am walking normally now.  I can wear sandals but not really revealing ones.  My toe is not a lot shorter but is not quite the same shape as its counterpart on the other foot. The toe doesn't quite lay flat on the floor but that is not obvious unless I have bare feet.
  • Posted

How are you doing Jay?  Have you made a decision yet?  I went to the doc last Wednesday and he gave me a clean bill of health.  I have had to have my hiking boot stretched as the foot that has had surgery does not like being confined.  In the meantime I am wearing one hiking boot and one post op sandal.  However, I have upped my walking to just over 4km per day plus what I do at work.  So far so good. The foot swells a little when I sit at my desk for any length of time but otherwise is fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.