Big toe fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just had a 1st MTP (big toe) fusion on the 15th July. I have a plaster cast up to my ankle. After two weeks i had it removed and the consultant said it is looking good. He replaced the plaster and said i would go back in 4 weeks to have this cast removed. I was surprised and wonder what it will look like after 4 weeks! I am more worried about the different sensations and feelings i get and worry about it not having worked. I only potter around the house as that was what i was advised to do, i have a black velcro shoe to wear when up and about. My big toe often feels like it just want to curl under itself and 'collapse' but the plaster does keep it strictly in place. Can anyone else confirm that they get weird sensations and spasms in their foot, toe?

Wondering if anyone can remember the discomfort after the fusion op?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann. Hope you're well. I had the same op in November of last year. Had my foot  in a cast for 6 weeks (with the velcro shoe). Remember having all sorts of weird sensations (one being the sensation of water dripping on my foot - even though it wasn't). But that's to be expected as nerves will have been damaged/bruised. And yes, my toe did feel like it wanted to 'curl up' .  Only pain I had was the wound itself, but did have alot of discomfort from the swelling. Thought it was the cast being tight, but was same for a while after having the cast removed. Found ice packs and putting my foot up whenever I could helped. It does get better. Still get swelling sometimes, but its just the toe now, rather than the whole foot. After having the cast removed, I was told I could walk in normal shoes (bought a size bigger mens shoe - couldn't get in my own shoes for a while), but to take it slowly using both crutches, then one, then none. After you've been non weight bearing with the cast for 6 weeks, it take a while to get walking anyway. Felt a bit like pins and needles in the bottom of my foot. feels horrible, but you have to walk to get rid of this, and it does ease the more you walk. Foot felt weird not having the cast on at first, so had a loose sock/tubular bandage on that foot (even in bed) till I got used to it again. Still have a reduced feeling on top of my toe where the scar is, but better than the joint pain I had before. Glad I had it done.  Told you everything I can remember about my experience, but feel free to ask anything, and I'll try to help. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Claire - this has just made my day so much better. I have read so much and seen so many reviews but to hear these sensations are normal is so good for me. You have calmed my overactive brain. Yes, i also keep feeling that the scar in the plaster is 'wet' and just the last couple of days i have massive spasms in my whole foot on waking in the morning. Don't know what this is all about but definnitely looking forward to being pain free. Just hoping i wont have to have the other foot done which is what my Consultant is recommending cos i really wouldnt look forward to being like this again! Thanks so much anyway. x

• Posted

Glad I could help, Ann. Know exactly how you feel. Never having had this op done before, you wonder if its all a normal part of the healing process. Worth writing things down to ask the consultant next time you go. I would go for my appointment, then only later think "should have asked that". Good luck with it all. Hopefully you won't need the other foot done, but if you do, at least you know what to expect. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.